Xee - remapped arrow keys causing issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by e271, Feb 11, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I've remapped the left/right arrow keys to display the prior/next image. This works well except that it causes a bizarre problem:

the arrow keys no longer work when I try to rename a file - pressing them does not move the cursor in the little rename text box. I either have to delete the existing file name and start from scratch or use my mouse to move the cursor to the desired position in the file name.

Anyone experienced this??

2. macrumors 603

blueroom

Try Better Touch Tool and make it a custom gesture for Xee.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply - I had no idea that Better Touch Tool could be used in this way! Looks like a great feature.

Unfortunately though it's not working in Xee (or I'm simply doing something wrong). Here's what I did:

- removed left/right arrow key shortcuts from Xee
    - in BTT, I remapped the arrow keys to existing shortcuts in Xee for prior/next image (the existing shortcuts were ";" and ":")

While this works to navigate images, when trying to rename files I now get ; and : characters when I press the arrow keys :(

4. macrumors 603

blueroom

I used the bottom left / right corners of my MacBooks trackpad for Xee last / next. Amazing how many gestures that trackpad has. The arrow keys as you've noticed have multi uses in Xee so it's a problem. How about the [] keys, or maybe the multimedia keys F7 & F9?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I really like using the arrow keys...

Its strange, the default key mappings for the arrow keys are to pan the image. Using these defaults, rename works fine. Removing the arrow keys from the list of key mappings, rename still works fine. Its just when I reassign the arrow keys to anything other than panning that rename no longer works.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

The plot thickens...

The arrow keys do work in the Save As text box. Noticed this recently after wanting to save some edits to a picture.