Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Jump on it...

Maybe..... Maybe not.... Are those new ? or "New Pulls" Some of these guys use a lot of funky language. Like my local supermarket stating the fish is "Fresh" when it's actually been frozen and thawed. When I questioned this the butcher said well... It's "Fresh Frozen". I said well it's one or the other it can't be both.

I generally prefer Amazon over eBay. Especially when buying something like very expensive processors.

These deals come and go pretty fast. The trick is finding the best deal your comfortable with when you're actually ready to spring with the cash.

I couldn't happier with my machine at this point.

----------

That really is awesome. How did the upgrade go? Any issues? How have your temperatures been?

Upgrade went fine. Being very slow and careful it took like 45 minutes. Actually quite fun.

Temps range from about 35c at idle to 90c when pushed to 100% on a long render.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Says
"Product Condition:
Factory Sealed - New - Factory Sealed products are new, in original packaging, and carry a manufacturer warranty."

in the listing and Ive sold on eBay quite a lot so I know buyers always get the benefit of doubt if any issues

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
I trust the chips are new...my concern is due more to the fact that they're manufactured by IBM. Wondering if there are slight differences that might make it incompatible with a MP.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Yea But.....

Says
"Product Condition:
Factory Sealed - New - Factory Sealed products are new, in original packaging, and carry a manufacturer warranty."

in the listing and Ive sold on eBay quite a lot so I know buyers always get the benefit of doubt if any issues

Even with my deal on Amazon it went like this. Within a couple hours of placing the order I get an email from the seller.

Oh, sorry we made a mistake in our ad. The ad say's "New retail packaging with fans included". Actually they are new bulk processors in a plain box and no fan. You can cancel the order if you want.

Well, I didn't need the fans and I didn't mind the bulk chips so long as they were new chips from Intel. So I continued with the purchase.

So, anyway the most telling info regarding the seller I dealt with is it's been a week since they told me there was an unfortunate "error" in their ad. I checked the ad on Amazon today and it has NOT been corrected and they have 14 more processors to sell. Call it Bait N' Switch or whatever. Here's the current ad:
"Product Description: Intel BX80614X5680 Xeon X5680 Processor - 3.33GHz, LGA 1366, 6.4GT/s QPI, 12MB L3 Cache, Six Core, HyperThreading, Westmere-EP, Retail CPU w/ Fan"

Checking the sellers reviews here's an interesting one:
2/5: "Was not new" JOE J., September 13, 2012
Seller Response: "New Bulk"
Sounds a little like "Fresh Frozen" to me.....

So, here's a couple tips when purchaseing expensive tech products online.

1. If you see a deal that sounds too good to be true it usually is.
2. The better the deal sounds the harder you must scrutinize.
3. Not to offend any east coasters but, if the seller is on the east coast, remember it is scam capitol of the USA. FL, NJ & NY come to mind, in that order. The seller named above is in FL.

Happy shopping, Merry X-Mas & May your Mac stomp A55 on all competition and make you smile every day.....

Dr. Stealth

Last edited:

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Would these be the same and work?

http://www.itcreations.com/view_product.asp?product_id=22787

They are supposedly new server pulls but the seller has a good rep on eBay and will give me in writing a 3 year replacement warranty. Seems much cheaper than previous ones mentioned here. So Might be willing to take a chance to save a 3-400 dollars considering the sellers good reputation on eBay

Thanks in advance.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Hey everyone,

I ordered 2 X5680's to upgrade my Dual Processor 2009 Mac Pro as well as the hex wrench and the thermal paste that the OP used.

I noticed many people who did the upgrade also replaced or added to the thermal padding on the heat sink and used washers to keep the processor from being crushed into the socket. I would appreciate it if someone could inform me what size washers I would need to purchase to be ok on the height. (Are Washers required?) Also What thermal padding I should apply, and do I add it to the existing? and how high off the heat sink should the new later of thermal padding extend?

http://www.amazon.com/Gino-202mm-Si...F8&qid=1356627591&sr=1-1&keywords=thermal+pad

Would this work? Or This

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...x_100_x_20_-_Thermal_Conductivity_60_WmK.html

Lastly some people posted that the additional height of the lidded CPU's doesnt allow the connector for the fan to connect properly to the motherboard is removing it from the heat sink a requirement?

Last edited:

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Hey everyone,

I ordered 2 X5680's to upgrade my Dual Processor 2009 Mac Pro as well as the hex wrench and the thermal paste that the OP used...
The OP upgraded a 2010 DP model which is quite different from your 2009 machine. You are better off directing your questions to the following threads where people have had recent experiences of upgrading their 2009 models:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505370/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1457999/

Added: BTW you need to update your MP's firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 before you do the processor swap since only 5,1 is able to recognize the Westmere processors you just ordered.

Last edited:

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
The OP upgraded a 2010 DP model which is quite different from your 2009 machine. You are better off directing your questions to the following threads where people have had recent experiences of upgrading their 2009 models:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505370/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1457999/

Added: BTW you need to update your MP's firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 before you do the processor swap since only 5,1 is able to recognize the Westmere processors you just ordered.

Thanks, already did the firmware upgrade should be getting my processors next week.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
When all else fails, trust your feel and let your hands guide you.

... .I would appreciate it if someone could inform me what size washers I would need to purchase to be ok on the height. (Are Washers required?)
I definitely recommend the washers, which should together total about 2mm thickness.

Also What thermal padding I should apply, and do I add it to the existing? and how high off the heat sink should the new later of thermal padding extend?
About two 2mm of additional thermal padding is added to the existing pink padding.

Both may work, but the latter looks more like that which I installed. Remember that it needs to make contact with the ICs underneath to help them stay cool.

Lastly some people posted that the additional height of the lidded CPU's doesnt allow the connector for the fan to connect properly to the motherboard is removing it from the heat sink a requirement?
See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/781908/ and especially posts #s 49, 51, 61 (pic), and 295. I call this technique "BAB" ("Boing and Boot"). Note especially that you are not detaching the black wiring itself either from its point of origin from the heatsink's assembly or the wiring's point of termination at the black plug. Your mission is to just free the movement of the plug and not cause an electrical short by having the point of contact of the heatsink assembly and the lid of the plug pinching the wiring when you screw down the heatsink assembly on top of the plug. By trimming that lid at the top of the plug you're eliminating a pinching (shorting) of the wiring with the end result being that the plug will no longer be constrained directly by the heatsink's positioning and now the lid should not pinch the black wiring when you install the heatsink now over the plug. Whereas before that plug was connected to the processor board as a unit because the plug was itself factory bound directly to that hole in the heatsink assembly, now you pull the plug out of the hole in the assembly and insert the plug into the processor board. The heatsink can then be installed on top of that plug (after the plug is inserted into the processor board) and if you've done the trim job properly, then the wiring is not pinched when the heatsink assembly is screwed down.

How much tightening is enough, but not too much, still involves more art than science even with the washers. Don't forget that you'll need to use an Allen screw driver (long 3mm Allen key) long and thin enough to adequately reach the screws at the base of the heatsink. Over time I've learned to address the tightening process by working the diagonals in this way: using a marker, label the four screw driver insertion points, in order (but beginning where you wish), 1, 2, 3, and 4. Then tighten 1 a little then 3 a little until they both feel slightly firm. Then do the same for 2 and 4. Then, install the processor board and give it a try. If there's no BAB or if there is BAB, but some memory appears to be missing or unrecognized (the former is usually a sign of over or under [or in the case of the latter - usually uneven] processor seating), then test the tightness of 1-4 and try to get the same feel for each one, tightening them ever so slightly just a little more - here is where the art comes in; the science part is your recording every turn of the screw you make for each one, attempting to make all four of them as even as possible. When you get BAB, hopefully your note taking will make the process faster if you ever decide to do it again. I've done it enought times to just do it by feel now - it becomes feel and muscle memory. Feel and muscle memory are just as powerful as, if not more powerful than, mental memory. Example: After entering the unlock combination on a door at work so many times my fingers could enter it in my sleep, but one day I tried to enter the door by recalling the code and I could not get in (or maybe it was just a senior moment). So, I walked back to my car and then I returned to that door and just let my fingers do their thing and (Voila!) I entered my office - muscle memory in action. So, when all else fails, trust your feel and let your hands guide you.

Last edited:

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks again Tutor.

Regarding the washers can you recommend specific ones. Or give the size they should be in terms of diameter of the outside and the inside of each washer? Does the material the washer's are made out of matter?

Thanks again!

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Great Info...

Great info from Tutor to be sure.

My upgrade was very straight forward as I didn't have to deal with the lidded vs lidless issue.

The one bit of advise I would pass on is this. Be VERY VERY careful when you have the processor sockets exposed after removing your cpu's. They can be damaged very easily. The contacts in the sockets are like 1,000 micro-fish hooks. They are just waiting to snag onto cotton or anything else that comes anywhere near them. The Xeons are quite heavy and even dropping them slightly onto the bare contacts can damage them. Apple techs have plastic covers that they use to cover the sockets whenever they are exposed to keep them from getting 'contaminated'.

The less time you have them exposed the better & safer.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Would anyone be able to provide me with what the specifications of the washers would be in terms of their outer and inner diameters (How big do they be on the posts and not harm anything else)

The Washers being 2mm total height I understand.

Also does material matter for the washers

Thanks again

Last edited:

Tutor

macrumors 65816
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Would anyone be able to provide me with what the specifications of the washers would be in terms of their outer and inner diameters (How big do they be on the posts and not harm anything else)

The Washers being 2mm total height I understand.

Also does material matter for the washers

Thanks again

I bought from my local Home Depot - 3 packs (5 pieces/pack, using 3 on each side [3x4=12]) #8 Flat washers 4 2 Nylon AZ-J /36-J /610; Dr# - 610 09.09.01 12:04 [bar code 30699 86928 2] (Packaged & Distributed by Crown Bolt, Aliso Viejo, Ca. 92656). I'd recommend use of Nylon rather than a metal.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
I bought from my local Home Depot - 3 packs (5 pieces/pack, using 3 on each side [3x4=12]) #8 Flat washers 4 2 Nylon AZ-J /36-J /610; Dr# - 610 09.09.01 12:04 [bar code 30699 86928 2] (Packaged & Distributed by Crown Bolt, Aliso Viejo, Ca. 92656). I'd recommend use of Nylon rather than a metal.

K 3 of these washers going on each post.
Thanks again for all the help Tutor

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Okay.

Happy new year to myself! I just picked up these to upgrade my aging 2009 Mac Pro. Very excited for the upgrade!

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Okay.

Happy new year to myself! I just picked up these to upgrade my aging 2009 Mac Pro. Very excited for the upgrade!

indeed. I'm waiting for the padding to show up now.. then i'll get washers.. then decide on the x5680's or w5590's.

Congrats to you!

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Hey if anyone is around I could really use some help installed one of two cpus so far but as soon as the computer logs in (hits the login screen) the fan over CPU A revs up like nuts. Is this because I do not have the fan connector seated correctly?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
installed one of two cpus so far but as soon as the computer logs in (hits the login screen) the fan over CPU A revs up like nuts. Is this because I do not have the fan connector seated correctly?
Do you have a fan speed monitor such as smaFanControl installed? Are you sure the boost A (heatsink A) fan speed is not 0, or the high fan speeds only came from intake and exhaust fans? Or take a peek at the fan inside heatsink A when the machine is running. Is the fan really on? If the fan in the heatsink A is on, then it may be OK. I got one CPU working and after a minute the fans started to run full speed. When you install another correctly, it should go back to normal. If the fan is not on, then you have a fan connector seating problem. Did you clip the connector as Tutor suggested? If you are using 3 washers on each post by Tutor's suggestion, you have to clip the connector to make the proper connection. Or you could use 2 washers and without clipping as I found out in my own upgrade. Good luck.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
Hey if anyone is around I could really use some help installed one of two cpus so far but as soon as the computer logs in (hits the login screen) the fan over CPU A revs up like nuts. Is this because I do not have the fan connector seated correctly?

KBS -- did you ever get this resolved, and, if so, what was the issue?

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
KBS -- did you ever get this resolved, and, if so, what was the issue?

I assume the processor was defective. The seller shipped me replacements that I should be getting and trying today will update once I get it working.

Put both original processors back and they are working fine so Im confident there's nothing wrong with my board

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Got Replacement processors today and seems to boot with both of them so that is great.

Only trying to get all the memory channels functioning now

Getting annoying though just cant seem to get memory slot 2 recognized rest work fine.

Also can someone give me an idea what normal temperatures should be at idle and under extended period load so I can double check to be sure that everything is alright there as well thanks.

Can someone give me some pointers on gettin memory channels to work because I keep trying to slightly loosen and tighten CPU A and really am getting nowhere in terms of gettin this light to turn off for slot 2's ram....

As of this ... still cant get CPU A to have all memory Channels working when I get the bong and no lights on board it stops on the white screen right after apple and gear on boot. and even 1/8th of a turn tighter and 2nd Channel doesnt read

As of now 2 x 3.33 Ghz X5680 Xeon's running at CPU A :39 C CPU B: 31 C Ambient :27 C
and 14 GB of 16 GB 1066MHz Ram running.

Both fans running at normal and allowing me to adjust back and forth with SMC fan utility.

If anyone can give me some surefire advice on gettin slot 2 for Ram to read, as well as if it is safe to keep the computer running while the red light on the board signifying slot 2 not running is on, is safe for the computer.

Thanks in advance all

Never Mind Issue Resolved now... I had to push the tightness some more and then the issue was gone. Thanks everyone for all the help they've been on this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.