Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm considering buying this printer, which is relatively new product from Xerox, so I'm finding little information out there about it. Does anyone have any experience with this printer? I'm specifically interested in the multifunction version, but I assume the Phaser 6180 is the same printer without the copier/scanner/fax capabilities. All info appreciated.

Thanks!

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Here goes

Just bought a the 6180 printer today (not mfp). I haven't had much use out of it but it seems to be a great machine. Of course after a few months I would know more but not much help to you.

I was looking at the lexmark c530dn and liked it, but it gets abysmal reviews from users almost universally even though cnet rates it higher than 6180. I don't know why. So I read Macworld's review and the Xeroc came out on top.

Xerox have packaged an attractive and well thought out printer. It's not an item of beauty but she is big. Set up was straight forward and I love the ethernet connection.

I also went for this one even though I like HP printers because of the amazing price I got on it- 149 pounds with free next day delivery. That's half the advertised price here in England.

I hope that helps

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yes, it's a start, thanks. Are the drivers okay? I've read that the Bonjour setup doesn't go as smoothly as it should.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The Xerox scanner driver and Acrobat Pro (8.01?) do not play nice together if you allow Acrobat Pro to be upgraded to the latest version with Adobe Update. You have to keep it at the version that ships on the Acrobat CD and disable automatic updating.

The Xerox performs well, otherwise.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Are the drivers for the Mac fully functional? I've heard that HP's MFP Mac drivers don't implement all of the features available to Windows users.

I don't use Adobe Acrobat so I presume I'll be okay with that.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Drivers

Yes, it's a start, thanks. Are the drivers okay? I've read that the Bonjour setup doesn't go as smoothly as it should.

Drivers work fine- what you have to do however is to add the coloursync profile yourself to your utilities folder.

Other than that, bonjour was a snap- it does it all automatically. Set up was fine all over, a bit time consuming, but it is a colour laser printer after all.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Drivers work fine- what you have to do however is to add the coloursync profile yourself to your utilities folder.

Is that part of the instructions, or do you need to figure this out on your own?

Also, the literature for the printer says it supports scan to computer using the SMB protocol. It's not clear if the Mac supports SMB (which I believe is Microsoft's implementation of Samba).

francesnbob

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Any Opinions About Xerox 6180 Printer Color Print Quality??

I'm thinking about purchasing the Xerox 6180MFP Printer and was wondering if anyone has an opinion about the quality of the color prints (doesn't matter if it is, or insn't the MFP model).
Thanks,
Bob

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
We did end up with this printer. But it's a little soon to comment on the color print quality as I haven't given it much use yet. So far I'd call it somewhat dark, but I haven't installed the ColorSync profile as suggested above. Still it's certainly better than the Samsung color laser it replaced.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I have the Phaser 8560 MFP and it is beautiful. Color prints are fast and stunning. Copying and scanning is excellent. All the drivers load up with bonjour with no problems. If the 6180 is anything like the 8560 you will be pleased.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Did you install the ColorSync profile?

One issue to note with the MFP model is that scanning to the Mac using the SMB protocol does not work. Scanning using FTP does work, though.

francesnbob

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
I appreciate your input. What is the Colorsync will I need to use this utility if I purchase the 6180MFG? Is it hard to add to my utilities (I don't have very much computer knowledge regarding utilities)?
Thanks,
Bob

cluhn

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
Upstate New York
Good, but . . .

I have a Xerox 6180MFP that I use in my law office. It is a workhorse, does a pretty decent job in all respects, BUT . . . since loading OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) the scan driver does not work. Xerox is frustratingly slow in posting new drivers, at least for Mac. Their response to repeated inquiries is that "sometime in the 4th quarter (of 2009)" they expect to have a new driver up and running. Incredibly, they are perfectly serious about this response. Further, they have no "check for updates" function, so one has to keep going back to their support/drivers page to see if today is the day they have anything for you. One or two other quibbles: you can add names, e-mail addresses and/or fax numbers, but they do NOT re-align themselves in alphabetical order, displaying, instead, in the order added. The device also does not import from Mac's Address Book. So, despite its competence, if I had it to do over, I would consider a more Mac-friendly multi-function machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.