Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
Full article

At a New York event sponsored by Xerox's Innovation Group this month, a Xerox fellow, Beng Ong, presented a jet-printed plastic transistor that had been made with polythiophene-based, semiconductive polymer ink. Because plastic transistors can be fabricated using standard printing processes, they are much cheaper to manufacture than silicon transistors, Ong said.

Xerox is exploring ways to combine its SmartPaper technology with plastic transistors to create electronic display screens that users can roll up and transport as easily as paper...

Now I can't find any images of the electric paper discussed, but I saw it demonstrated on a broadcast on (anonymous channel) a few days ago...the paper overall is a semi-light gray and, judging from the demonstration, flexes like a plastic version of theme paper.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
While many companies are actively developing this technology, Philips is the only one I've seen with a substantial body of work that encompasses wearable, printable, and bendable displays.

http://www.research.philips.com/
Go look around a bit, besides the displays they have some remarkable, imaginative and novel ideas in there. Interesting that they're so open about their research.

paul

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
yeah, those are cool, you can wrap 'em around a subway column for advertising or the likes! I understand you kind of do the same thing with LED's though

Macdantheman07

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2004
NYC
OLED and FOLED are the next generation of displays. I am confident that Apple's products will use them in the neare future. They consumeless power because there is no backlight(ITS LIGHT EMITTING!!!!). An Ipod with an OLED display could have a 20 hour battlife.

The only bugs that are known with these displays is that sometimes the color fades, some OLED colors have numbered life spans.

TBR

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
paulwhannel said:
While many companies are actively developing this technology, Philips is the only one I've seen with a substantial body of work that encompasses wearable, printable, and bendable displays.

http://www.research.philips.com/
Go look around a bit, besides the displays they have some remarkable, imaginative and novel ideas in there. Interesting that they're so open about their research.

paul

Makes you think about the things that they're NOT showing you though!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I remember reading about early demo's of this tech a couple of years ago. It has truly massive implications for commercial use and even environmental benefits.

If they could ever manufacture this to a reasonable price, then it could conceivably replace the whole concept of the newspaper as an actual physical printed artifact.

Imagine instead of buying newspapers, you purchase a sheet of this 'electro-paper', that also has built in Wi-Fi that allows you to D/L the latest news from your favourite online news provider that you have subscribed to directly to your 'electro-paper'.

The environmental ramifications of this is huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.