XFX making cards for Mac -

Discussion in 'Games' started by StayWhatYouAre, Mar 15, 2006.

1. StayWhatYouAre macrumors newbie

XFX to make Apple cards

CeBIT 2006 PC companies are biting the Apple

By Theo Valich: Wednesday 15 March 2006, 08:54
    SINCE STEVE JOBS BIT THE BULLET and replaced only thing that separated his platform from the PC, it's no wonder that PC companies have begun with serious preparation to enter Apple's upgrade market.

Users will be thirsty to upgrade the graphic cards into the world of 2560x1600 worthy products. The Apple Cinema Display 30-inch is a gorgeous machine, but being able to combine it with only 6800DDL or puny X1600 isn't so brilliant. The first company to stand up to be counted is XFX, which used this year's SnoBIT to show its Apple-ready products.

I don't know why, but an idea to replace the X1600 or 7600GT from shipping Intel Core Duo (desktop version) workstations with 7900GT or 7900GTX all of the sudden becomes very, very attractive.

All is not ideal, though. XFX will probably have to slightly raise prices when compared to the PC products because of Apple's strict QA Labs and the demands The Fruit Company will request from the add-on manufacturers. µ

http://theinquirer.net/?article=30299

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this was reported no hexus.net a while back, they said they would first bring the 6600GT to G4 powermacs to be able to support the 30", if they do and it's a 2x compatible card i'll buy two for my cubes.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

This is good news I think. The more attention Apple gets, the better (excluding hackers and spyware)

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Do you really think 6600 would fin into the Cube? :rolleyes:

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yes, it's been done with pc flashed cards, i had a radeon 9700 in my cube for a while.

6. socamx macrumors 6502

Uhh...ATi did this already? Called the X800 XT and 9600 PC/Mac Edition. XFX isn't the first...

Until I get something like ATi Displays for Nvidia cards on Macs, I couldn't care less about owning an Nvidia card.

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

But this will be the first 3rd party NVIDIA based cards for Mac. In the past all the NVIDIA cards have only come from Apple and those were few in numbers. Also the X800 is a G5 only card and the 9600 isn't that great of a card to begin with.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

People said that a 9800 would never go in a Cube, but it does :rolleyes:

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The 6600 might work with a Cube, but it may not be a nice 100% fit like the GeForce 3. Cube users have developed lots of ways to get newer cards running, but it would be nice if there was a card you could simply pop in without resorting to VRM moves, new cases and external PSUs.

I'm a little skeptical about how this is going to pan out - if they mark the cards up 75% like Apple/ATI currently do with Mac retail cards they can sit on them and rotate. Especially since I have a flashed XFX GeForce6800GT 256MB in my G4 that cost me $220 shipped. The Mac version is a lot more than that.

More choice is, of course, always good. But I'd like to see Mac video cards start pricing more in line with their (HARDWARE IDENTICAL) PC counterparts.

10. socamx macrumors 6502

I guess it comes down to what you want to do with the cards, if gaming isn't your thing the 9600 is just fine.

I hope this new trend helps with getting some sort of control panel/OpenGL override panel for OS X and Nvidia cards, it is long long overdue. Only reason I stick with ATi cards is the control they let me have on Macs. While I'm at it, I'll take a control panel for the Mini's intergrated graphics as well.

The couple games I play I really like playing with vsync enabled, and taking high quality screenshots with all the graphical extras turned on...the games I play don't allow me to do this within their settings.

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

if gaming isn't your thing, why are you buying a new graphics card that doesn't support higher resolutions than the one that comes in the machine to begin with?

color me confusled.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's just another alternative instead of buying the Radeon 9600 Win/Mac or the hacked versions.

Some people might want Dual Link DVI too.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There are three major reasons why people want newer video cards in their G4s. Gaming is the most obvious, but many people do it for the following two reasons:

1. to gain full Core Image compatibility (Radeon 9600 or better needed)

2. Dual monitor setups with two large DVI displays (many older cards have ADC or VGA ports that require adapters and in the case of VGA are inferior in quality).

A new Radeon 9600/9800 or Geforce 6600 have dual DVI and lots of VRAM plus Core Image support.

14. socamx macrumors 6502

Beat me to it.

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Maybe Quadro will fit in the Cube as well? :rolleyes: :D

Dont forget about Motion

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've never actually seen any benchmarks with Motion on the G4...not sure how well it would run. My guess would be that the fastest G4s (1.33GHz+) could handle it but it is very dependent on a powerful GPU - You probably need at least a Radeon 9700/9800 for reasonable performance.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Motion is very GPU intensive indeed m8.

On my powermac G5 dual 1.8 2.5gb ram 9600XT it was a slow dog. You would have to work with very short clips and small amount of layers otherwise you would be waiting ages as spinning wheel busily ticks over..

As soon as I dumped the 9600XT, and put in an X800XT I was capable of working with longer projects, with a lot of layers - afterall they soon build up and my performance wasn't hindered by the beachball of death :)

Get the best graphics card you can get for motion, it does pay for itself in the amount of time it takes out of your working time :)

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes, I work in Motion on my iMac (radeon9600) and its very slow anything more than a simple project. Luckily, I make simple projects, so its OK... for now at least :rolleyes: ...