1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

XGrid agent for Unix architectures

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 23, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

this sounds real cool.

I have a powerbook 550mhz and an athlon 1.2Ghz. In the article they mentioned pov-ray (opensource 3D-rendering). It would be real nice if i can use my mac to model and use the additional power of my athlon for rendering. I also do some programming, but i am unsure if x-code supports xGrid. But i really see the xGrid concept becoming the way of future computing.

3. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Oh, without a doubt...

For like 10 years now, i've been wondering why my one machine had to work so hard at a rendering, while the machine sitting 2 feet to it's left had nothing to do except display some flying toasters.

Why not somehow combine the HD and CPU of all the machines on your LAN. Most tasks, i realize, can't be CPU-shared (burning a DVD) but a lot can!

XGrid is a step in the right direction - i'd like to see an OS-level implementation of it's technology, so that every task is CPU-shared. You stick a G5 somewhere on the LAN, and your wife's eMac suddenly computes excel spreadsheets 20% faster with an extra 50 gigs of (slow) drivespace. Stick 1,566 XServes on your LAN and your wife's eMac can compute a trillion digits of PI in 5 seconds.

My 54Mbit/sec network, by the way, is also underutilized. Pulling pages of the net at 1.5Mb/sec hardly makes 802.11g sweat, but fill it up with problem/result traffic, and everything comes into balance.