Xgrid-and seti

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by applemacdude, Apr 3, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Is it possible to use xgris to cluster my iMac and two beige g3s running os 9 to get a mini supercomputer to do seti?

2. familyte macrumors member

Here is a link for xgrid and I seem to remember reading something (somewhere) about being able to use xgrid with SETI, but I don't see any links. The biggest problem you will have, I believe, is using xgrid with OS 9.

Good luck!

3. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, you are going to have to upgrade to Mac OS X in order to take advantage of the Xgrid software. I tried to do something like that with folding, but I didn't have any luck, I think that the software needs to be coded in order to use the Xgrid set-up. In which case there would be a link on the SETI website, which I can't find.

5. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Xgrid is only still in Beta, so maybe soon it will have this kind of support. I think they are working on it, else they woudn't post a link on their site next to the folding secton of the Apple site. So probably they are working on something for distributed computing.

7. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

wouldn't it have the same effect as having lots of little ones contributing less frequent work units anyway?

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

for distributed computing it probably makes no difference if you get every proc its own WU or all procs working together on one WU. But it would be cool!!

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

apple's xgrid setup at macworld used gigabit bandwith connections between the machines...not sure how well it would work on 10 or 100BT