Xgrid apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by disconap, Aug 30, 2006.

1. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I am debating building a cluster to utilize a number of macs we have in the office that are unused 80% of the time. Does anyone know which applications are supported under Xgrid? I know it is primarily for the scientific community, but the Apple site says it is also usable for "animators and digital content creators"...

Things I am specifically interested in:

Quicktime
    Final Cut
    Cubase

2. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Not sure about CuBase, But I know Final Cut Pro comes with something called Compressor, with that you can do distributed encoding, and Im asuming thats what you want to do with Quicktime... :D

3. disconap thread starter macrumors 68000

disconap

Sort of, but we use Quicktime to make varied versions of files since we only have Final Cut on one machine. But I guess that, if the tasks are set to run on the other computers, we can run the conversions in Final Cut and still use the app at close to optimum, right?

4. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I dont really know... I dont think Final Cut itself is Xgrid aware, you can do the editing in FCP, and then do conversions to your different formats in Compressor over the Xgrid, if you still want to use FCP while compressor is doing something with the grid then I would guess that would be a setting in the Xgrid configuration of the mac running FCP (only use spare cycles).