Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Xiaomi surprised at its Beijing event today by announcing the Mi Mix, the "world's first edgeless display" phone, alongside the company's new Mi Note 2.

Designed by French designer Philippe Starck, the Mi Mix is a 6.4-inch device that features a 2040x1080 pixel, 17:9 aspect ratio borderless display that takes up 91.3 percent of the front of the handset. The only significant bezel sits at the bottom of the screen, but it doesn't have a physical button, with all the controls existing onscreen.

Screen-Shot-6-800x445.jpg

The all-ceramic phone uses a piezoelectric ceramic driver for the earpiece which uses the metal frame to generate sound, while the proximity sensor has been replaced by ultrasound. Both innovations are hidden under the display. The design also uses a mortise and tenon joint for attaching the display to the body, rather than glue or other adhesives.

Powering the phone is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor, with 4GB RAM for the 128GB capacity model and 6GB RAM for the 256GB model, which also features gold trim, with 18K gold accents on the camera lens and fingerprint sensor on the back.

The rear camera boasts a 16-megapixel resolution and 4K video, while the front camera is 5 megapixels. The phone is also said to have dual SIM connectivity and a 4,400mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 support.

#MiMIX Edgeless display (world's 1st), 93% screen-body ratio, piezoelectric ceramic earpiece speaker, behind-display ultrasonic proc sensor pic.twitter.com/33dywzDxKG - Hugo Barra (@hbarra) October 25, 2016

Depicting the Mi Mix in promotional videos reminiscent of the Monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Xiaomi called the device a "concept phone", and yet offered both a price and a release date. The 4GB/128GB model costs RMB 3,499 ($515) and the 6GB/256GB model is RMB 3,999 ($590), with both handsets set to launch on November 4th in China.

The phone may give us some idea of what Apple's next phone could look like. Apple has a major iPhone redesign planned for 2017, with a glass body and edge-to-edge OLED display that includes an integrated Touch ID fingerprint sensor and front-facing camera. The handset is expected to lack bezels, meaning there will be no Home button. Jony Ive is said to have wanted to introduce an iPhone that looks like a single sheet of glass for several years, and 2017 may be the year that becomes possible.

Article Link: Xiaomi Unveils 'World's First' 6.4-inch Phone With Edgeless Display

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
"Concept phone" roughly translates to "can't blame us if this thing doesn't work".

Apple will test and release products when they're ready.

"Junk" company? Dude, they're like the Apple of China.

I see no point in shelling out close to a thousand dollars for flagship devices due to the influx of great devices from Xiaomi and Oppo that cost half.

Sheboygan

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2016
St Louis, USA
I have concerns about the edgeless concept-- after using iPhones since 2007 I was issued a Galaxy S7 from my employer (for business use) and have had repeated "palm contact" issues where simple handling causes the phone to think I am tapping things on the edges of the display. I presume that will get worse when edgeless. Yes, software can detect things like that, but no way close to all accidental contact on the periphery of the device.

flappah

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
The Hague, The Netherlands
Upon reading the headline and skimming over the pictures I really thought I would like the phone. However, now when carefully checking the photo's it looks .. cheap! I really don't like the point where the screen goes into the side. There's this obvious gap. And the material itself looks cheap, resembling just ordinary plastic. Is it plastic? Can't tell from the pictures but it does have a real plasticky feel!

Reactions: keysofanxiety

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
"Junk" company? Dude, they're like the Apple of China.

I see no point in shelling out close to a thousand dollars for flagship devices due to the influx of great devices from Xiaomi and Oppo that cost half.

Just like the Mi 5 that bends easily when you apply a little force?

Being first to market doesn't mean better. We've seen that with the Note

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.