Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I think this is what separates Apple from the rest. Remember when the original iPhone was introduced in 2007 and it had a face-detection sensor so the screen would turn off when raised up to the ear? Did any other "smart" phone have that feature? Now every one of them does. Apple cared enough about the user experience to consider this particular interaction. My general feeling is that many of the Android handset makers don't think about this. They simply photo-copy what's out there, and Apple has set the benchmark by which all such smartphones are based.

Enter edge-to-edge screens and we have the very issue that you describe — how to hold it without accidental input. iOS has built in palm-detection, but I don't think it's sufficient to meet Apple's standards when removing the side bezels entirely. This is likely why Apple is taking longer to introduce an edge-to-edge display.

I'm skeptical about the 2017 iPhone design. Physics alone, are one reason that many concepts just won't work in the real world. Pure-glass devices? We'd need an entirely new technology to take the place of silicon chips. Going to be interesting to follow this...

Funny thing is that the first Iphone had a problem with the face detection. The screen would not stay of while on a phone call. When the screen would turn on, your ear would hit something on the screen, like the mute icon. I think this was fixed in an update to IOS.

nameischarles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
So many comments about how ugly it is or that bottom bezel chin or as if it's nothing special but if Apple was the one to release this next year everyone will be saying 'Suck it Samsung and suck it Android...Apple is back...I can understand why that bottom bezel is there still cause Apple is revolutionary!'

It's great Xiaomi released this, I think it's great looking and I just watched the video by Marques Brownlee and looks spectacular. Let's see what other manufacturers can push out with edge less or bezel less phones.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
He meant that Samsung rushed it to beat iPhone 7 to market.

Lol
I know exactly what tosh he was spouting.. I'll repeat myself, the note is a yearly series, it was over a year since the last note device, so how is that rushing it to market. It's just ifans thinking the world revolves around themselves....
[doublepost=1477466493][/doublepost]
See: rushed. The note 7 was rushed to market.
And you have documented evidence that a yearly released series that had been over a year since the last release was rushed. Please enlighten us will you... they messed up, yes, doesn't mean it was rushed..

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Beyond the obvious of having a larger screen without compromising handholdability? This phone has roughly the dimensions of the iPhone 6/7 Plus but has a 6.4" instead of 5.5" screen. Applying the same ratio, you could have a 5.5" screen in a phone the size of the 4.7" iPhone. You don't see a benefit in this?

As someone who games a fair bit on the phone, the bezels actually help with the natural offset of the onscreen buttons in a landscape mode.

In a more general use case though, I admit the top bezel doesn't serve much purpose besides housing the ear piece, selfie camera, and sensors. If they can be integrated in the screen without compromising the display and the functionality of those pieces, it would be serve a purpose
[doublepost=1477468806][/doublepost]Where is the front camera supposed to be? Lower bezel?

Also, how the heck is it a "concept" phone if it's releasing in under 10 days?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Of course they do. The flesh on the fingers is soft and the edges press into it. And that's a good thing, because it increases friction. Otherwise you would need much more pressure and balance to hold it. Try holding it with wooden sticks.

View attachment 667982

See? Perfectly normal way to hold a phone.
Hold it with the distal portion of your phalanx and it won't "wrap" around. That's how it's pictured in their promotion pic on the OP and that's how I hold my phone when picking it up (tried several times to see if that was the case)..... of course YMMV. I would assume you would adjust much as many have had to adjust r/t the power button being on the side.
[doublepost=1477479021][/doublepost]
From the article:
Xiaomi surprised at its Beijing event today by announcing the Mi Mix, the "world's first edgeless display" phone

From Global VP at Xiaomi:
Edgeless display (world’s 1st)
https://twitter.com/hbarra/status/790829329756200961/photo/1

So it's a lie. It's not first. Sharp did it before.
"Xiaomi Unveils 'World's First' 6.4-inch Phone With Edgeless Display"
Seems to clearly say 6.4".........

Last edited:

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
I know exactly what tosh he was spouting.. I'll repeat myself, the note is a yearly series, it was over a year since the last note device, so how is that rushing it to market. It's just ifans thinking the world revolves around themselves....
And you have documented evidence that a yearly released series that had been over a year since the last release was rushed. Please enlighten us will you... they messed up, yes, doesn't mean it was rushed..

"Rush to Take Advantage of a Dull iPhone Started Samsung's Battery Crisis"

"Earlier this year, managers at the South Korean company began hearing the next iPhone wouldn’t have any eye-popping innovations. The device would look just like the previous two models too. It sounded like a potential opening for Samsung to leap ahead.

[...]

So the top brass at Samsung Electronics Co., including phone chief D.J. Koh, decided to accelerate the launch of a new phone they were confident would dazzle consumers and capitalize on the opportunity, according to people familiar with the matter. They pushed suppliers to meet tighter deadlines, despite loads of new features, another person with direct knowledge said. The Note 7 would have a high-resolution screen that wraps around the edges, iris-recognition security and a more powerful, faster-charging battery. Apple’s taunts that Samsung was a copycat would be silenced for good.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-in-rush-to-capitalize-on-uninspiring-iphone

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Who cares if they copied Apple? In the phone industry business, everyone is copying everyone. We have market trends and all of the OEM's R&D/marketing departments are aware of that including Apple. Or do you think the idea of having a 5.5 inch phone was Apple's?

Duh. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about spies, leakers from Apple's factories and prototyping facilities going to Xiaomi with blueprints and design drawings. We already know it happens because parts and drawings are leaked all the time. This is not just industry standard "copying." Its highly illegal and coordinated since everything is happening in China.

Last edited:

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
Duh. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about spies, leakers from Apple's factories and prototyping facilities going to
Xiaomi with blueprints and design drawings. We already know it happens because parts and drawings are leaked all the time. This is not just industry standard "copying." Its highly illegal and coordinated since everything is happening in China.

Ugh... It's no illegal in China. No one is going to go to jail in China for this. Maybe its illegal in your country, but this stuff is common place in China. Bring some perspective.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I still believe Apple should hire Philippe Starck in some capacity. He designed Steve Jobs' yacht and has created some beautiful objects I obsessed over at one point.
Agree but it will be difficult to localize Joni (who is certainly on one of his trips), let alone get him off

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Ugh... It's no illegal in China. No one is going to go to jail in China for this. Maybe its illegal in your country, but this stuff is common place in China. Bring some perspective.

Thanks. You just proved my point. I didn't say anyone was going to jail, but that doesn't make what's happening not illegal.

China will always be 3rd world as long as it cheats and doesn't play by the rules. Maybe you're the one that needs to get some perspective.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

It exploded? It's a consumer hazard. It clearly isn't ready for market. Isn't that evidence it was rushed?

A couple extra months of testing would still make it a yearly release. No phone manufacturer releases their phones exactly 365 days later, it's always around a year give or take a few months.

Samsung rushed the note a couple months and the affects of such an action is now apparent.

x0vash0x

Suspended
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks. You just proved my point. I didn't say anyone was going to jail, but that doesn't make what's happening not illegal.

China will always be 3rd world as long as it cheats and doesn't play by the rules. Maybe you're the one that needs to get some perspective.

China. Third World. Yeah. Okay. But, honestly, I don't care about corporate espionage. I say it is part of the game.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Of course they do. The flesh on the fingers is soft and the edges press into it. And that's a good thing, because it increases friction. Otherwise you would need much more pressure and balance to hold it. Try holding it with wooden sticks.
Add some residual moistness to the softness of the flesh and you 'hold' your phone perfectly fine just like this (no pressure needed, just a little bit of gravity):
020019-DSC00435-2014.jpg

[doublepost=1477492366][/doublepost]
It exploded? It's a consumer hazard. It clearly isn't ready for market. Isn't that evidence it was rushed?
Maybe. What if the Note 7 was going through exactly the same test cycles as the S7 but still showed this 1:30'000 failure rate? I do find the 'rushed' theory plausible but not every product fault is due to lower testing standards, sometimes a fault arises that previous testing routines cannot catch.
[doublepost=1477493203][/doublepost]
On another note, this is all ceramic. I know that means it won't get scratched easily, but is that more fragile than glass? I wonder how it will hold up with a drop.
I don't know, you could do some drop tests with a ceramic coffee mug and drinking glass ...

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic

Remember how Apple got where they are now? Observing the others, then recreating their ideas, a little better and more refined?
So, you got it the wrong way. Those who play by the rules and never even think about cheating a little, are destined to be the third world. China? Definitely not.

Like it or not, China is an emerging star and they're gaining traction in the tech field in a big way.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Add some residual moistness to the softness of the flesh and you 'hold' your phone perfectly fine just like this (no pressure needed, just a little bit of gravity):
View attachment 668053
[doublepost=1477492366][/doublepost]
Maybe. What if the Note 7 was going through exactly the same test cycles as the S7 but still showed this 1:30'000 failure rate? I do find the 'rushed' theory plausible but not every product fault is due to lower testing standards, sometimes a fault arises that previous testing routines cannot catch.
[doublepost=1477493203][/doublepost]
I don't know, you could do some drop tests with a ceramic coffee mug and drinking glass ...
Lol nobody actually holds their phone like that when they're walking around. And how about laying down?

I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to constantly be aware of the way I hold a phone. It needs to be as natural as possible. That's as basic as you can get when it comes to design, and phones like this are a design nightmare. This is why Apple was laughed at with the iPhone 4. If I have to hold the phone a certain way to make it work properly, they blew it.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003

I think my skin would be too dry for this, at least sometimes.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Looks gorgeous, but I saw two points in the video where he struggled to use it. One, when he was trying to get the menu at the bottom to take him back so he could go to the browser, and then shortly afterwards the home screen moved because his palm was touching the edge, due to lack of bezel.

Still, good to see some innovation from somebody, finally by which I mean the ultrasound and the fancy speaker - the Sharp phone clearly has the prox sensor at the bottom, dunno about the speaker.

Reactions: LovingTeddy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.