XIII Freeze

Discussion in 'Games' started by mowogg, Jun 18, 2004.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

I downloaded the XIII demo yesterday and found that the "Beach" level freezes on my G5. The other level works O.K. but the beach locks up bad at teh "Loading" screen. The background music/SndFX loop- cazing, cazing, cazing... and I can't force-quit the app. Have to reboot. SUX. I hate having to reboot.
    Anybody else see this happen? It worked O.K. on my 12" PowerBook at work.

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Don't feel bad, the demo crashes on my G5 period... :(

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Send in a bug report. Sounds like a G5 problem, but there's a few G4s freezing on the first level only.

Well, actually, a bug report might not be necessary, assuming the retail version is problem-free. I personally think (and hoping) that this demo was the bad port and the retail is fine.

I find the game to be mediocre anyway. It's not super-amazing, but it's sorta fun.

4. wide macrumors 6502a

It's not a problem with hardware, but rather with the software itself. The development company didn't perfect the game engine and the game itself. It's a pretty lousy game anyway, if you ask me. Go for Call of Duty, or the older Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and you will be much happier (or so I would...)

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Go download EscapeKey from ambrosia. it allows you to terminate the frontmost app by pressing ctrl + alt + del

Launch the app from a terminal. When it locks up, use escapekey. Then you will see any errors or any program output. Good luck... i don't know what's up...

As for the dude saying XIII sucks, i disagree. The game runs beautifully at full resolution with all the options turned up. And it hasn't crashed once. MOHAA crashes all the time in multiplay when a server changes maps :(

6. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I don't have any problems running either level, other than one note below. I'm running a Dual G4/1300 MHz upgrade.

Has anyone actually played the demo? I found Carrington on the Military Base mission, but when I pick the lock to his cell, the engine changes. I can look around a little bit, but only toward Carrington. I can choose items, crouch and stand up, but not use or shoot anything. It could just be a cut-scene that isn't in the demo, but I was wondering if anyone else sees this. I'd think there would be a bit more graceful end to the level than your view more or less locked.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Are his hands coming towards your face?

Because he does hold your head for a moment. Then you plan out that ambush and your mission is closer to ending.

8. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I get stuck as soon as I unlock the cell. I played through the level again last night. I can't open the door where the guard is. I also couldn't raise the alarm by tossing grenades at the door. I couldn't kill Carrington. So, then I unlocked the cell and turned to have my side toward him and my view got the same movement limitations after the cell unlocked, but I wasn't looking at him. The cell door never opens. Seeing as there is nothing left to do, they must have decided to cut the demo off there. On the beach level, it at least sends you back to the opening menu.

Anyway, looks like a cool game. The AI isn't brilliant, but it seems that it takes the same firepower to kill you as a bad guy. So, that will make it challenging.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Really?

Well, I was able to finish that level until it froze at this one part. More on that later...

I unlocked the prison door with that screwdriver looking item you start out with. Then, he comes out, talks to you, holds your face a little, and talks more. Then you get near the door, he picks up his cigars, he then call for one of the guards to come over. At this point, you want to be ready for a gunfight with about six guys. Then the door opens, and just shoot away. While Carrington runs away, fight off everybody, and then you'll both run to a ski lift. I was running towards the door, but my game froze up there, so let's just say I did beat it ;)

10. Dair Grant Guest

We believe this particular case (where your entire system locks up) is caused by a bug in the drivers for the nVidia card in the G5 (the FX5200).

We have a workaround for this, and hope to release an update to the demo shortly which will avoid triggering this bug. If you're seeing the entire system lock up, it's almost certainly a video driver bug: an application should not be able to lock up the system on Mac OS X.

Unfortunately this one appears to be a bug in the demo itself - it can also be triggered on the PC.

You can work around this problem by opening Carrington's cell as soon as you enter that room (after jumping out of the duct). The bug seems to occur if you grab the health and bullet-proof vest before picking the lock.

The background to the demo is that it was created from a fork of the PC code before the PC version went GM - this means that although it's representative of gameplay, it does not contain the same code that went into the GM (for both performance and bug fixes).We looked into merging the demo code to be based on the GM version for the Mac, but unfortunately the demo also uses a slightly different set of data files and so this wasn't feasible.

Hope the above is of some help - if you have any problems, please let us know at xiiisupport AT zonic.co.uk and we'll see what we can do to help.

-dair
    http://www.zonic.co.uk/games/