XL1, Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by e²Studios, Jul 20, 2006.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My friend is buying a new camera for his wedding studio (wants HDV) and is willing to sell me his XL1 fully equipped for $550, is this a good deal? At first glance i thought it would be but im worried about the wear on the heads since he does weddings and im sure its seen its fair share of use.

Opinions?

Ed

2. PegasusMedia macrumors member

It sounds like a very good deal to me - depending on what you need out of a camera. The XL-1 is getting old, true. But it was and is a very good camera.
    Here's my opinion, for what it's worth..

Great deal if
    - You are an amateur or "hobbyist" looking for a pro camera to learn and grow with, or
    - You are getting it as a second rig
    - Basically, if it dies, its a drag, but it does not cost you dearly beyond the $550.

Think twice if
    - You plan to make money with it as your one and only rig. If you have clients relying on you, you need something more trustworthy.

Good Luck!

3. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

It's a great deal. The XL1 is still a very nice camera. The lens alone is worth the price.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The XL1 is going for $100 per day in rental houses so even if you had it for a week, it's worth it for $550.

The XL1 is good for outdoor scenes, but its low-light capabilities is terrible compared to today's camcorders like the Sony VX2100.