XM in the iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SuperChuck, Jul 16, 2004.

1. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

What does everyone think about incorporating satellite radio in the iPod? I think this could be a killer app that would further seperate the iPod from the other players on the market, and it would be great for whichever satellite radio distributor that gets picked.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Who wants their reception to disappear when they go indoors or even onto a covered patio? Look, I love my XM for my car, but it is unsuited for a device like the iPod.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I think the logistics of this would keep it from ever happening. Sure the iPod is smaller than a pack of cigarettes, but you'd have to wear an antenna suit to make it work.

Maybe someday.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Not sure thats entirely accurate. This one is tiny

http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=31133&type=Antenna

However reception indoors is another beast.

5. ratspg macrumors regular

fm radio digital

fm/am radio is going digital soon, im not going to want xm on an iPod and pay 10 bucks a month for it.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

That's great for your car but it's a little large to carry around.

Give it a few years. I think something big is going to happen with mp3 players, cell phones, and PDAs--single devices to cover all needs. We're getting there but have a long way to go. Anyway, when you see that sort of thing then portable satellite radio should be easy. Just wait for the technology to come to you.

7. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Before anything else is added to the iPod, it needs the following (in this order of priority)

1. Better Battery Life (At least 14 hours)
    2. AM/FM Radio
    And if possible:
    3. A headphone amp, that dosen't suck.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Reception indoors is not another beast, it is impossible. My XM reception disappears under service station canopies. It even disappears under heavy cloud cover. I love XM, but it is an outdoor service, exclusively.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. I agree - in fact, I'd like to see it doubled (16 hours).
    2. Seems like a good idea to me.
    3. What's wrong with it? In my experience, the headphones are fine. Are you referring to sound quality or bass level?

10. SuperChuck thread starter macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Glad I posted this!

I had no idea XM reception was virtually impossible indoors. I've been seriously considering their little portable model, which I planned on using primarily in my apartment.

I guess I'll never get to enjoy satellite radio, since I don't have a car, and when I am commuting, it is usually by subway.

Oh well, so much for that idea.

11. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I didn't mean the headphones, I mean what powers the headphones. The headphone amp. You can't tell if you haven't heard a good brand (like Creative), but the iPod's headphone amp and sound processing suck.

For example, you would expect an AIFF to sound better than an MP3, right? Well, an MP3 converted from an AIFF, will sound better on a Creative player, than the origional AIFF on an iPod.

Also, to tell the difference, you will need some good headphones, for example, Sony Nudes. Yes, the name is weird, but they are one of the best sets of headphones on the market.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I can't tell the difference between an AIFF on my computer speakers and an MP3 at a bit rate as low as 80 kbps stereo through my iPod's headphones.