XM Radio - not Mac friendly?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CoffeeMonkey, Feb 15, 2006.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

Has anyone been able to activate XM Radio using a browser on a Mac?

I recently picked up a new receiver that is XM-ready, so on a lark I picked up the little add-on that lets me get XM Radio.

I'm glad I checked out their website before I opened the package, because I found that in order to activate the service online, you have to use IE on a Windows computer. And if you register over the phone instead of online, you get whacked with an extra $5 activation charge.

I sent the company an email, asking if they'd waive the charge, since I wasn't inclined to pay a $5 penatly for not running Windows. Yeah, its kind of petty to be worrying about $5, but given that Mac users tend to be early-adopters of technology (espeically music-related technology) you'd think they'd support us.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I signed up for service on two receivers using Safari with no issues. I also listen to the XM stream via Safari at times too.

I can also go there to see when my pre-paid activations will expire (account management interface). One is soon unfortunately. Just because it says "IE only" doesn't exactly mean that you can only use it.

Side note: If you want to save money on your XM service i would pre-pay the service for 2 years. It saves you decent cha-ching and no reoccurring bills for 2 years.

Ed

3. CoffeeMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

4. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I got XM for Christmas and was forced to activate over the phone and pay the charge because of this. Bastards!

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It was last year when i added my second radio. I just logged in about 15 minutes ago to my account, and then to listen to a stream. Neither of those failed me. I am using Safari, default with nothing extra short of flash, java and whatever else apple gave me :D

Try this software out, maybe it can help
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17952
    or
    http://www.scifience.net/debugger.html

Same file, one is version tracker the other is direct to the developer.

"Safari Debugger enables a hidden feature in Safari - the Debug Menu. Using this menu, you can access many "IE-only" sites, open troublesome web pages in another installed browser, import and export bookmarks, and access dozens of other useful features."

Ed

6. travvller macrumors newbie

Perhaps confusing registration vs. using service?

I just tried to simulate registering a radio on the XM site using a G4, 1.5 gig RAM, OS 10.4.7, cookies enabled, and the site states that my computer/browser does not meet the minimum requirement.

This is a different issue than streaming the music online. I just want to save money by registering online instead of having to call. I sent an email to XM and they came back at me with the same blah blah - minimum requirements. On Amazon there's a recent review for an XM radio where the user states that he experienced the same thing - he couldn't register via his Mac.

Something is fishy. I haven't yet made the plung, but I'm a little peeved that something as simple as registering a radio can't be handled better. I'm not giving XM my money 'til they address this issue.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

When I bought my XM Radio last year, I activated my radio and managed my account from my Mac with no problems. It's really strange to me that it used to work, then they decided to lock Mac users out. I just paid my bill with them, and I'd like to deactivate my service after this billing period ends, but I can't access the site (don't own any Windows machines anymore). Is Sirius Mac-friendly?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes. Their online player works just fine in Safari and Firefox with WMP installed, the only thing missing are artist and song titles, which only show up in IE for Windows.

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm not talking about the online player. XM's online radio service works fine with the Mac too. It's the account management/listener care section of the site that is (now) incompatible with Macs.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, the Sirius account management is fine. I've activated a couple radios from my Mac no problem and have made changes to my account

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

What are you talking about? I already have the home kit, and my XM radio spends almost all of it's time about 4 feet from my iMac hooked up to my stereo.

The discussion is about XM's support of Macs on the account management/support section of their website.

13. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I had the same problem last year.

I called the activation number and told them I was having problems activating my account online, basically lied and said I ws using a PC with IE.

I was lucky and got a really chatty operater and she wavied the phone fee.

Might be worth a try.

14. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yeah, what's weird is that when I activated my radio, the site worked fine with Macs (summer 2005). Now that I want to go in and change billing preferences, etc, it doesn't work.

I guess my advice is to stay away from XM if you've only got a Mac because they're not really Mac friendly. I'm planning to cancel my service. May move to Sirius, or I may just give up satellite radio for a while.

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

My friend Matt has XM and has had no issues at all :)