XM Satellite Radio: Reviews?

Discussion in 'Community' started by blackpeter, Feb 15, 2005.

1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of purchasing XM Satelite Radio. Anyone here have experience with XM or Sirius? Please tell me what you think.

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I just bought a new car last month with a Sirius radio built in. I didn't really think too much of it at first, but once I activated it and started listening to it regularly, I've found that I love it. I can't imagine not having it in my car now. I don't even miss not having my iPod in the car which I really thought I would (my old car had a cassette player that I used to connect my iPod with an adapter, but my new one has a CD only). I can't speak for XM, but I assume it's similar enough. I'd definitely give satellite radio a thumbs up for sure.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My wife worked at XM for a few years before we moved out to Indiana and we've had XM (2 units, one for each car, which we listen to inside as well) since the launch and absolutely love it and couldn't imagine going back to regular commercial ridden radio now.

Our neighbor has Sirius and loves it as well. Figure out which one is best for you (XM has a ton more subscribers and is currently doing better) but the programming is a little different. Football vs. Baseball, Howard Stern or no Howard Stern, etc.

Regardless, I think you'll love it.

D

4. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Lance and Anderson. Yeah, I'm attracted to Opie and Anthony on XM. Apparently, Sirius has better NFL coverave. But I've got DirecTV's NFL package.

Either way, I'm paying $14 a month for an Audible account that would be better spent on satellite radio.

5. MacConvert2008 macrumors newbie

I got XM for my car because my friend said it was great. I must say, I will NEVER go back to anything else. I mean it's fun to listen to the iPod on the go, but the great thing about XM is after you find a station that you enjoy, you can hear songs that you may not have thought about or haven't been able to download. Most of it is commercial-free, and if you have a tape jack you can get cd-quality sound with virtually no interference. I would definitely recommend it for your car, but if you're looking for a portable, the $349 XM one sucks major dong. I know you didn't ask, but I just needed to get that off my chest. ::cough::

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I got XM for Christmas and I absolutely love it! You'll never listen to AM or FM radio again. When I was shopping for my satellite system, I met a lot of people who stongly recommended XM over Sirius. One guy said he had both systems: XM in his company car, and Sirius in his wife's car. He said Sirius' reception was so-so, and he hated the DJ's. But, like Mr. Anderson said, it all depends on what kind of programming you want. I'm an MLB fan, and XM has the exclusive deal to broadcast MLB starting this season.

Also, the best XM receiver to get is the Delphi SkyFi 2. It's got a Tivo like feature, stock quote ticker, sports score ticker, built-in FM tuner, and a bunch of other features.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

We have XM in our car. It is great. 100% commercial free on the music channels and the few times when we listen to something else, there are about two commercials that take up less time then on an AM or FM channel. It is great. It shows you what song is playing and the artist.
    Also XM has great weather coverage. Better than Sirius.

One caveat though is that wen you drive under a freeway overpass (under it, mind you) the signal can sometimes cut out. It is a minor annoyance but XM seems to have slowly gotten better with this.

We had a rental car with Sirius. The channels were confusing to figure out what was what, not as good quality, and the display was hard to see.

In the end, we liked XM better.... much better.

8. iceTrX macrumors regular

I have XM in my car. Id say XM has better stations, the important thing is XM has instant traffic/weather for specific areas which is REALLY nice. Sirius only has weather for the East/West coast, so its worthless while driving.

9. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I'm glad you brought that up. I've been looking at the $349 MyFi over the SkyFi2. Tell me why you didn't like the portable MyFi. I'm curious to hear because over at the XM boards, they LOVE it.

BTW, I almost got a sour taste in my mouth about XM becasue their online broadcast does not support Macintosh. Yech!

10. MacConvert2008 macrumors newbie

Actually the online XM is really great (if you have a PC at work or something) and comes free with your subscription. The thing about MyFi is that you can't actually save any music. As I mentioned before, it's great to hear variety, but sometimes I just want to hear one song, a particular artist/album and you can't with MyFi. Another issue is, as an above poster pointed out, interference with large buildings. MyFi does not get reception in my dorm at all. I don't know how many other buildings are like that, but the point is that for $349 and a monthly fee (the price of an iPod and then some) it should do more than it does. And while it can supposedly be used in the car also, it's about the equivalent of using your iPod to that end (doable, but shaky and sort of a pain.) I personally only do XM in the car, and so the extra $200 to go portable seemed a bit extravagant to me. I'm not the authority, so check out the opposition too. I'm not trying to turn you off to something you might really like. :)

11. yukon8170 macrumors member

XM vs Sirius

I have to say that I have had both and overall, I think Sirius is better. When we had Xm, I noticed that they have a lot of requests from truckers driving across South Dakota. IMO I would rather listen to music than hear about the bird that just flew into the trucker's windshield (true story). I have found that on sirius, they just play more music more often. They have short station identifications but other than that, it is just music (Unless it is a talk channel) It may cost a little more each month, but I would glady pay an extra 4 bucks not to hear talking.

12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I've only had Sirius for a month so this may be a fairly new thing, but they actually have continuous local traffic and weather for 20 major US markets and they aren't all on the coasts either.

13. blackpeter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, as of today, XM has added Macintosh support for their Online feed! Works with Firefox and Safari. Way to go XM.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

For our rental car, the brochure said San Diego was included. But... we soon learned that it was really LA and San Diego mixed. Meh. Took us nearly 7 minutes to hear what the traffic/weather was like. XM takes us about 1 minute to get to the traffic or weather.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I guess it all depends on what station you're listening to. I've never heard of a request for a song from a trucker in South Dakota :D

D

16. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

And Howard Stern is coming soon (if you like him).

P.S. South Dakota doesn't exist. ;)