XM vs. Sirius

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleIntelRock, Dec 16, 2006.

1. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I'm looking to purchase satellite radio for my car today or tomorrow and was wondering who I should go with. I'm looking for polotical radio as well has a large selection of music.

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

3. AppleIntelRock thread starter macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Thanks for the info. Does XM's music channels have advertising on them, or is it similar to HBO?

4. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

If you're referring to the ClearChannel stations(about 3 if i remember), yes, they now have advertising. But after they started putting ads on those channels, XM created their own copy versions of them.

All other stations are 100% commercial free.

5. AppleIntelRock thread starter macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Do you have XM in your car? If so, what are you using?

6. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Yep, I've got it in my car. I have an Audiovox XPress which I like since I can also plug my iPod into its AUX jack.

Too hook it into my OEM Stereo, I'm using an FM Modulator. Provides pretty good sound quality. It'll be as good as your best FM station.

7. AppleIntelRock thread starter macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

My only thing is, I don't want to pay for XM radio, and then get FM quality. I think I may buy a deck w/ XM built in.

8. rglatter macrumors regular

I have XM and I love it. I am using the skifi2 going into my aftermarket cd player via an aux input. I haven't used sirius but from what I have heard the sound quality of XM is better and the playlists have a lot more variety. If you decide to go for XM I would get the skifi3, it has the ability to be portable and you can record programing so you can listen to it later.

9. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

I haven't used either as a regular user, except for once in a rental car. :p Still, I've observed that XM has been doing well financially (over the last few years), compared to Sirius - that does say something about the service and its offerings! Ok, this is not the best line of reasoning, but I get good vibes about XM being better than Sirius (both cost almost the same, in my limited knowledge). :D Since I like XM, go with it!!! ;) If you like the cute Sirius doggie, go for it - but I've heard from other people that the doggie doesn't sing! :D

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

XM is built into my Mom's Tahoe and it's great. XM and GM have close ties, and so most GMs have XM capability built in.

11. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

Another vote for XM, I've had them for over two years now and it's been worth every penny of the subscription (I have 4 active radios) and the playlist are deep and unless you listen to nothing but the pop music channels you'll most likely discover something by an artist that you like that you didn't know that they did.

Sirius on the other hand plays more of the artist popular hits, which is great if you like that sort of thing.

Equipment wise XM has better technology and most of their receivers are smaller than Sirius receivers.

12. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Sirius is a lot better then XM. Xm can barely give radios away now. Sirius is destroying them in sales. The stock may not represent it but the numbers are proof. Howard Stern alone is worth it. If you like him he has two channels of programming with practically something for everyone.

They also have Nascar, NFL and I believe College Basketball. The music channels are great also. Not sure what type of music you like but you won't have a problem finding it. XM is on its way down. Sirius has been making a lot of deals with a lot of people and securing the rights to almost every sport as they become available. Nascar left XM for Serius.

or you could go listen to Oppie and Anthony and Oprah on XM lmao.

13. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

One more vote for XM here, I feel it has a better selection of channels.

14. imacintel macrumors 68000

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That sounds like a lot of your own personal fantasy:

Xm_sirius_subscribers.png

You'll also note XM's current stock price (XMSR) is well over $15, whereas Sirius (SIRI) is just under $4.

XM also offers more channels than Sirius.

As has been noted before, XM receivers (if not already built into your car) are more sleek and pleasant to use. Also the radio service seems much more substantial. I think Sirius' grab of "celebrities" is just a gimmick attempt to catch up.

XM is hardly "on it's way down" - where did you get such nonsense??? Oh wait, I know where, and it isn't pretty (nor does it smell good).

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I have XM and like it. For a while I was thinking seriously about canceling my service because they changed their website (after I subscribed) so the account management section specifically blocked Mac users. I did complain a couple times, and I was happy to see that they've redesigned the site and now it works with Macs again. I just paid my bill online a couple days ago, whereas my last bill (3 months ago) had to be paid by phone.

As for the service itself, I'm continually impressed by the depth and breadth of programming. I hear things that are very interesting and obscure all the time. The only time I get drop outs is when I go into concrete parking structures or drive up the canyons here in Salt Lake to go skiing. I drove to L.A. (alone in one day) last Spring and the only time XM dropped out was going through the deep curvy canyons on I-15 in Arizona, and even that was only short sections of dropped signal.

I have a Delphi Roady2 that cost $50 when I bought it in summer 2005 or whenever that was. For a long time I kept it mostly in my house, but I've had it in the car for a while now, and get more/better use out of it there.

I've never had Sirius, but I've heard from others that they're better for non-music programming (which I have very little interest in) than XM, but a fair bit worse for music. That's in terms of both numbers of channels and variety/depth of the content. Bob Dylan's show alone is worth the price for me, and they also often have live shows recorded in the XM studios by a wide variety of artists.

17. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I have an Alpine with XM in my car, Alpine makes great equipment and one of the original partners with XM. I have an XMPCR with toslink on my Mac Pro in my office. I also have a XM MyFi for traveling.

We have DISH in our home theater, DISH has an agreement to broadcast SIRIUS and my Wife has SIRIUS in her car.

I have been a XM subscriber for 3+ years and SIRIUS subscriber for 2+ years. Hands down, XM is the way to go IMHO. Programming is much better and feel the overall broadcast quality is much better as well.

Alpine makes some nice decks with BlueTooth, iPod connectivity, & broadcast satellite. Along with DVD Audio what more could you ask for???

My Wife and I both feel that XM is the preferred choice.:cool:

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've had Sirius for over 2 years and absolutely love it.

19. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Not sure which way your lean politically, but XM carries AirAmerica Radio, Sirius does'nt. I've also heard that XMs music channels are deeper and more complex than those of Sirius. I've never listened to Sirius but I have had XM for 4 or 5 years now and I would never go back to regular radio and CDs.:)

20. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Sirius is the way to go. I have it mostly because I have a longstanding subcription from before, but I think the programming is infinitely better than XMs and the quality is better. I also find the song selection to be a bit better organized and there are more options available.

Re: Political radio, sirius has Senator Bill Bradley's "American Voices" show, as well as rebroadcast NPR and BBC. I think Sirius' talk programming is way better than XM.

I disagree about the hardware as well, I think Sirius' available hardware is way better than the cheap stuff XM is selling. My sportster 4 is excellently made and very attractive and easy to use.

Sirius is also 100% commercial free, which XM is not.

Also, Sirius' internet radio is really good. I listen to it at work all the time.

Anyway, personal choice, but I think for what you want you'll like Sirius better.

21. jne381 macrumors regular

I am a sirius subscriber, I and I think that it is a great service. Everyone who has replied so far seems to go all one way or another. I have heard both and think the music programing is fairly good on both. XM does have professional baseball, but I really don't care that much about baseball. However Sirius has the NFL and XM does not, and I do care about the NFL. As far a college football is concerned, I found every game that I wanted to listen to on Sirius. Apparently, Sirius will also have NASCAR as well, but once again I don't care.

Political programing seems fairly balanced on Sirius but it all comes down to personal preference. The main reason I when to Sirius is for Howard Stern. If you want to hear him, you can only get it on Sirius.

22. Jopling macrumors 6502

I found that XM's programming on all their channels was completely inconsistent. You would get 1 or 2 good songs then a bunch of really obscure bad ones.

23. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Ah yes, the familiar "XM has deeper playlists" selling point.

Deeper playlists = XM plays tons of artists you've never heard of and you are constantly channel surfing to find something worth listening to.

Honestly they dig up the most obscure bands. Personally that's not for me. I like to at least hear some stuff that I know. There are very little repeats on Sirius despite what XM fans will tell you. Listening to them you'd thing you will hear the same song every 30min on Sirius. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I had XM for a while but got tired of constantly flipping channels to find something, anything to listen to. Don't have that problem with Sirius. I set it on 1 or a couple stations and its fine. Or, flip over to Howard 100 and almost always hear something iver not heard before.

I think the equipment is a wash, sound quality is a wash. Music IMO is "seriously" (get it?) in Sirius" favor. Then there is the exclusive content. Do you wan Oprah, Opie and Anthony, MLB, and PGA or do you want every other mainstream sport + Howard Stern?

Bottom line though, between Sirius and XM, IMO Sirius wins in a landslide. Between XM and FM, XM in a landslide. I cannot listen to FM radio anymore. Its probably been over 2yrs since I've heard more than 5min of FM radio.

24. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I'm currently subscribed to XM (2 yrs) and basically like it. I'm thinking of changing over to Sirius though for two reasons: NFL games and NASCAR leaving XM for Sirius in 07. For those that have Sirius here's my question. XM has a channel that is devoted to audio books, audio plays (Harry Nile, Sherlock Holmes, Louis Lamour, Bob and Ray etc.) that I really enjoy. Does Sirius have anything like this? I have looked at their channel lineup but can't find anything like that. The music channels on XM are pretty good with a gripe on a favorite of mine that has gotten a "DJ" from noon to 6pm. I really dislike it when I hear a chatty DJ that just has to inform you of a bands concert tour or their appearances on Oprah! This channel is beginning to sound like terrestrial stations. Just give me solid music with no commercials! Thanks in advance. Cheers

25. seabass069 macrumors regular

I have been an XM subscriber for a long time now. If you want to listen to NFL games or Howard Stern go with Sirius. If you are into listening to good music with ALOT of variety go with XM.

XM ROCKS, PERIOD!!!