XP 64

Discussion in 'Community' started by SPUY767, Mar 12, 2005.

1. SPUY767 macrumors 68000

SPUY767

I'm expecting this to be laughing stock. I mean, MS is obviously miffed and has done some crazy stuff and tried to turn a 32 bit OS into a 64 Bit OS instead of a rebuild from the ground up (read 10.4). My money is on this new version of XP being absolute trash. I'd have nevver thought that microsoft would eb so kind as to shoot themselves in the foot like that, but hey, stranger things have happened.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My friend tried it on his Athlon 64, and said that nothing worked. I bet that they drop it after Longhorn.

So, 2026 maybe?

3. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Where did you get the idea that 10.4 aka Tiger is a 64 bit OS built from the ground up.
    Tiger isn't a 64 bit OS it is a 32 bit OS with some very very limited 64 bit functionality. The kernel completely resides in 32 bit address space and will only be able to access 64 bit memory through a Library call AND that is only for POSIX threads (read command line apps and server daemons).

Do you not know that 10.4 aka Tiger is designed to run on the G3, G4, and G5. Obviously the G3 and G4 are 32 bit whereas the G5 is a 32/64 bit processor.
    OH yea thats right I don't know what I'm talking about and belong in a mental hospital.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Funny, I've had friends report a 5-30% increase in speeds using a 64 bit version instead of 32 on their AMD 64s.

I personally run 64 bit Windows on my AMD 3000+ and have never had a problem. I've never tried 32 bit Windows on it, so I can't commend on speed improvements.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Is there a reason you're being so rude and belligerent without anyone saying anything negative to you?

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I guess the reason is: Tiger is *not* a 64-bit OS. Even if it was, you would likely not notice any difference. This has been beat to death, so .... go look it up.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Tiger = Not a 64 Bit OS
    Win XP 64 = a 64 Bit OS

---

I like the Mac community, but face it: the Mac community doesn't like/appreciate Microsoft. MS developed a product that WORKS the way it should again. XP works the way it should... just, the way it should is based on the same OS from 1995... XP 64 Bit Edition has received good reviews so far - it works well. So, its not lightning fast, its still good.

And, something tells me that Mechcozmo, you're wrong (even though it was funny... 2026). It will most likely be the ONLY os MS makes after longhorn, considering by then 64 Bit Dual Core processors will be standard... heck, they may rebuild their post-longhorn release from the ground up...

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, from what I've read, XP64 is a 'more 64-bit OS' than Tiger is.

Check this out for some pretty comprehensive insight into XP64:
    http://winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_x64_preview.asp

Yeah, I know Paul's not the least bias man around, but he does seem to know his stuff. :)

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Maybe, but they still have to contend with the fact that there will then be Windows XP, Windows XP 64, Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Pro 64, Windows XP Tablet Edition, Windows XP 64 Tablet Edition, Windows XP Media Center 2004, Windows XP Media Center 2005, Windows XP Media Center 2006, Windows XP Media Center 64 2006, and probably a few more that I am forgetting.

Just a bit confusing, if you ask me.

And with all the different driver versions (friend told me what few drivers were out were buggy).

Essentially, its a brand-new OS but doesn't seem like it at all due to the name.

10. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I would disagree. My friend installed LAST SUMMER (beta stage) b/c he lost his XP Pro CD. He had just gotten together parts for a A64 3000+ ClawHammer system, just in time for a LAN. Lo' and behold, an hour later he is up and running. Every game we played (UT2k4, FarCry, Doom3, CS, etc.) worked on that computer.

And that was nearly 8 months ago. If it worked perfectly 8 months ago, I can only imagine that by now it is even MORE refined, with wider driver support and bug fixes (that we didn't see). He was running relatively "mature" K8V motherboard at the time (nearly 1 year in the market then):
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_10220_9486^9621~75260,00.html

11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

The largest problem with XP64 is a lot of stuff is still lacking for it since a lot of drivers have not been built for it and 32 bit programs have to run in a kind of emulation mood to run in it. It is not really possible to run a 32 bit app in a 64 bit OS with out emulating the 32 bit OS.
    At first 64 bit OS will be slower then their 32 bit counter parts but that mostly due to software. They had the same problem in the past when they went from 16 bit to 32 bit.

And as other stated Tiger is NOT a 64 bit OS. Tiger is only a 32 bit OS with very little 64 bit power.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, but that doesn't mean Loserman has to be "belligerant," as it was put.

No thanks, I won't have to look it up. I know you're right, but c'mon, what a..... loser.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Please take a few moments to relax and to think twice before posting. This thread looks like it's headed toward Wasteland.

14. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Hmmm now thats funny. He said I must be mental patient earlier.

I didnt see anyone of you guys coming to my defense then. But I didn't denigrate him I just asked a question. And you guys all attack me.

I expect I would have been banned if I would have called you a loser.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I know that my friend doesn't have that motherboard... I do know that he has a Athlon 64 3200+ (I think-- one step down from the 4000+.... not sure, doesn't make a huge difference)
    nVidia graphics card
    SATA drive

I'll ask him about the specifics, but I do remember him saying that while programs would run his graphics card driver was buggy, the motherboard driver didn't allow SATA connections on one channel, and there was the occasional random crash.

I guess we will have to wait and see, won't we, how this all plays out?

16. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I did, actually.

17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well, in addition to that K8V mobo, he had a WD Raptor SATA drive (working perfectly), a 9700Pro, and was using an Antec Neo Power (if shaky PSU's were a factor at all). Something surprises me about that the SATA connections issue your friend had--

The K8V is a VIA MOTHERBOARD. People constantly hammered Via (back in the '99-2000 days) b/c it was known to be the most unstable piece of AMD hardware, especially with hard drive/IDE connectivity issues. It is, with a certain irony, that his Via motherboard + ATi GPU were rock stable for that 12hour LAN session...

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm not sure it was a VIA motherboard... he hasn't be around (online) today, so I can't ask him.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Ah, so that was the mental hospital reference! I didn't quite understand it. You see, that's because I didn't see the thread in which he attacked you. Despite what you may believe, I really do have other things to do besides inspect each thread on MacRumors--I'm sure you do, as well.

Usually, I let the insults go, but the only reason that I commented in this case was that nobody *in this thread* had vituperated you. Thus, I did not understand the sudden rudeness. However, I do see now that it is a carry-over from a different thread.

A couple of words of advice, that you may or may not choose to take...

Try not to carry bad blood from one thread to another, especially specific references. It's bad enough when flame wars start in one thread without their extension into others. edesignuk and mymemory became best of enemies and carried around their rivalry from thread to thread--It resulted in one of them being banned (and, I think, the other one being promoted to mini mod, so eh, there's a chance to win big I suppose). My point is that it just gets ugly.

Also, you might want to avoid taking the attitude that the entire forum is against you. I think this might have been the first post I've seen by you. Frankly, I don't know you and I don't have strong feelings either way with respect to you. Maybe I shall develop such feelings once I get to know you better through your posts, but seriously, there are tens of thousands of members of this forum and we're really, really not out to get you. Promise.

20. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Point Taken.

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Also, the best way to handle posts where you feel attacked/insulted is to report them to the moderators using the report post button ([​IMG]), rather than reply in kind, which simply escalates the situation.

We can't read every single post and helping direct our attention to problematic behavior is the best way to go.

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I do love it when we can all learn to get along...Now what were we saying about the stupidity of Windows XP? ;)

23. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

You are right about the drivers - you cannot load 32-bit drivers in the 64-bit version of windows XP.

Regarding the emulation for 32-bit programs, though, Windows64 has a feature called WOW64 (Windows32 on Windows64) that allow 32bit apps to run. The implementation is different depending on when you are running them - for Itanium, WOW64 emulates the 32-bit CPU. For AMD64, though, when you launch the app, the WOW64 subsystem only switches the CPU mode from 64- to 32-bit, and the app runs natively, without any emulation. And with the excellent architecture of AMD64 CPUs, apps FLY in 32-bit mode under Win64.

When moving from 16- to 32-bit the problem was a bit more complex, since in the 16-bit world you had a completely different memory addressing scheme, among other things. In the 32- to 64-bit transition, this should be much smoother, since the addressing scheme doesn't change much - you just get more memory to play with.

24. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

This depends on what you're doing. We've seen performance increases of as much of 3000% in key apps (recompiled for 64-bit), such as database servers and image processing, mostly because of the extra available memory address space (ie: databases can cache ALL the database in memory, so queries that used to take several minutes now come back instantly). For most day-to-day "normal" apps, the performance increment, if any, shouldn't be spectacular.

25. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Just to clear this point - while Windows XP 64bit is not rewritten from the ground up, it is not based on the 32-bit version of Windows XP either. It is based on Windows 2003 Server 64-bit, which has been around for a while - that's why it has been working pretty well, or at least pretty well for a BETA release :D

And yes, I've been working with 64-bit Windows for about a year now... :)