XP and VPC = AWESOME

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by madamimadam, Oct 13, 2002.

1. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I just finished setting up XP in Virtual PC and it is SO great.

I have previously been using 2000 and it was as sluggish as a bitch. At first XP as only mildly better but then I stumbled across the eye candy settings and when I set it to "Optimise for performace" it started running faster than most PCs I use. I can now even do some tasks in Windows almost as fast as I do them on the mac and things like opening Menus I do even faster than I do them on Mac (remember, the eye candy, ie. shadowing ect., is off).

My $0.02, XP is TOTALLY the way to go for VCP.

2. macrumors 68040

mac15

cool, I was running XP with eye-candy on, I'll install it later, with it off, I'm running Windows 95 and 98 , 95 is way fast, but it is so crap

3. macrumors regular

Excellent, that's what I want to hear. IMHO XP is the best implementation of Windows yet. All my machines are running Win XP Pro (Including, of course, the one I'm typing on).

Once I can afford a PowerBook, it'd be nice to not lose any of my old programs and so on. Get the best of two machines in one - kind of. Probably be like running XP on a 400mhz PIII. Still usable though :D

4. macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

lots of my ignorant friends say that 2k was the best as XP is more unstable or something..is this true? (Im talking windoze machines)

5. macrumors regular

Not from my experience. As far as I can tell, XP is more stable, and recognises a lot more devices out of the box. Of course, if you are constantly trying to use it with hardware and software that's specifically non-xp-compatible, you will run into trouble.

As always, because of the wide variety of hardware it is designed to be "compatible" with, YMMV.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

As a point of interest, my 533Mhz PowerMac =
    686 processor
    532MHz

I dare say it appears to run faster than that, though.... I also have my disk image on a different drive to my system and I have reduced the colours to 8-bit

7. macrumors 6502

it is still m$ winblows no matter how you look at it.

wash;)

8. macrumors 6502

dont be so bitchy to windows, there the one who is innovating right now, so how bout u keep an open mind, last innovation of apples was 10 and a half months ago, pretty ****ing long time.

9. macrumors 6502

Ok I'll try

But…I have yet to see a wintel box that works well, an belive me I seen my share
    even on the simples tasks.

Cheers!!:eek:

10. macrumors 65816

Shrek

Excuse me. The last innovation of Apples was like almost two months ago, and they added 150 new features to their Jaguar operating system. :p

11. macrumors regular

Re: Ok I'll try

Really?? I have about 25 or so that work just fien every single day. Now I love Mac's just as much as the next guy but lets get real. A broad statement like that means one of two things.

1) It was said just to fuel the fires of M$ hatred
    2) Somebody really doesnt know how to set up/configure OS's

I mean really...if it as bad as some of you guys portray I dont see how they would have sold ANY...

BTW...Wash If you dont beleive me Ill gladly give you the address of my company so you can stop by and see.....

Flame away guys!!.... :D

12. macrumors 6502

sphereboy

:) can't we all just get along

13. macrumors 65816

benixau

100 to 1

I hate pcs because of the simple problems i have but, i must say that using both macs and pcs sincs the days of the Apple IIGS, pcs when a knowlegable person is using them, work like a breeze. That is where the problem is, knowlegable. to use mac os you could be 5and use it. It is obvoius with the exception of double click. everything else is computer obvious.

PS. before you start telling me double clicking has been here forever, a 5yr old wont understand it if you dont tell him. lets seelearn 100 things to use windblows or 1 thing to use mac os.

Which one will i buy my kids for their homework????

14. macrumors 603

shadowfax

That'd be an awesome argument, the next time i have the intelligence of a 5 year old. as it is, i am freaking good with windows XP, and it's really stable. i used Mac OS 8 on an iMac G3 awhile ago... my god, that was a really annoying OS. after using windows, none of it was the least bit intuitive for me, and it was downright ugly. MacOS had nothing on windows 95, visually, till OS X, which of course kills every OS visually, and most for stability and such.

i'm not trashing mac; i am a total switcher, but the people around this site seem to be pretty computer savvy. i don't think the design simplicity is a valid argument. i furthermore think that the Mac OS isn't THAT much more intuitive. the idea of the file/window/help/etc menus are not on a per window but per app basis is a great idea for most programs, but it's not any more intuitive than the MS/Gnome/most other OSes way. the Dock is supercool and useful, not to mention intuitive, but it's my understanding that a lot of diehard mac users hate it because it was never around before.

we aren't flying here

15. macrumors 6502a

I'm saying this in a non flaming way. This is conversational, not attacking, so don't get in a huff.

What exactly is windows innovating right now???

...and...

How can you say apple is not innovating...

Rendezvous
    iSync
    jaguar

just to name a few.

I agree that a knowledgeable person can get the most out of windows. But i find that most of the time i spend on a windows machine is just that, me having to make it work through the use of my knowledge of windows. Now, when i actually want to get some work done, i use my mac... i don't have to make it work, it just does, thus allowing me to get some actual work done.

16. macrumors 6502a

oh i meant to mention in my post above but forgot...

I have vpc with windows 98 and its terribly slow, is XP that much faster in vpc, i'm dying to use it but don't have the money to buy the xp os pack yet. So i haven't tried it.

17. macrumors 6502

RIGHT ON!!!:D

18. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Re: 100 to 1

I think the double click is a bad example. 5 year olds are rockin' on video games (I loved my Atari 2600 when I was five) so I don't think a double click is too big of a challenge for a kid these days (kids like to mash buttons anyway, so they'll soon figure out that "mash once" is different from "mash twice" and "mash three times" does nothing at all ;)).

IMO, having software only open/close for drives is more obscure than double click.

Lethal

19. macrumors 68000

topicolo

Windows did come out with automatic system updating back in '98 (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) as well as hibernation features, and built-in software routers with Win ME.

20. macrumors 6502

True

But they stole the tech from other companies and shareware programs M$ has not "invented" anything on their own since day one

Wash

21. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

ive seen xp run on an ibook (that only has 256 megs of ram max) and it ran faster than i thought it would, but it was still pretty slow, and it was in os9

22. macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Encouraged in another thread to give XP another look, but unwilling to put it on a real PC, I whipped up an XP VPC partition, and I agree its pretty astounding on a Dual 867 2GB machine.

Faster that 2000 and SuSE.

23. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Gawd this is turning into a PC vs. Apple fight. Fight on!

Anyway, I'm planning to buy a pb...(i've been saying that for several months now) and I will definiately buy VPC. Just curious...should I use that "world's greatest hack" (do a search on MacRumors) and put that on separate partitions for each OS I use? I plan on installing Windows 2000, XP, and Linux. I want to see whether I should use 2000 or XP, and I like some programming features in linux.

Anyway, so should I install them normally and reset the priority level to -20 or put in on a seperate partition and run it as finder?

24. thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I have never used VPC and 98 but over 2K is a HUGE jump... only after you turn off the eye candy though. Eye candy on= a little faster, eye candy off = UNBELIEVABLY FASTER

25. macrumors 65816

benixau

Re: Re: 100 to 1

Actually i agree with your last point, but a five year old will ask for daddys help to use a game (mac game!! where where :D) or get pictures from MS Office.

A also accept that five years olds today are a little better than five year olds, well, five years ago.

Love the mash analogy!!