Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Thirteenva
oh i meant to mention in my post above but forgot...

I have vpc with windows 98 and its terribly slow, is XP that much faster in vpc, i'm dying to use it but don't have the money to buy the xp os pack yet. So i haven't tried it.

I find it hard to believe that WinXP is reasonable on VPC since I use Win98 on a dual 800 and it's only reasonable. Believing WinXP to be faster, or more stable, than Win2000 isn't too difficult though.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
thanks for the tip. I just may give it a try. what are the min requirements for xp on vpc?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by buffsldr
thanks for the tip. I just may give it a try. what are the min requirements for xp on vpc?

Good question, I think, by default, it wants 128MB of RAM

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i wouldn't recommend running emulation with less than 256 MB of RAM... unless you have lots of patience!;)

It is VERY hard to find the correct point... I have all the CRT iMacs here at the office running 96MB with 2K (the recommeded amount) but they are so slow at emulating at more RAM does not help. If the CPU can not keep up more RAM does nothing. As the machine you are working on gets faster, the RAM makes more difference and then, once you hit that point that the CPU is waiting on virtual RAM it makes a HUGE difference.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by losfp
Not from my experience. As far as I can tell, XP is more stable, and recognises a lot more devices out of the box. Of course, if you are constantly trying to use it with hardware and software that's specifically non-xp-compatible, you will run into trouble.

As always, because of the wide variety of hardware it is designed to be "compatible" with, YMMV.

Your statements are somewhat misleading. Yes, out of the box XP recognizes more devices but that's mostly due to drivers being included for devices not available when W2k was developed. There are *very* and I mean *very* few devices that will work with XP and not 2000. It's really insignificant.

As for software compatibility I'd say it's a wash. I've witnessed and heard stories from competent people I know that have apps that run fine on one and not the other. XP truly has some real changes internally but for the most part is more hype than anything when compared to Win2k. I'm still amazed at how many people griped about being charged for Mac OS 10.2 yet those same people who deal with the Windows world didn't object to handing MS money for going to WinXP from Win2k.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy
I'm still amazed at how many people griped about being charged for Mac OS 10.2 yet those same people who deal with the Windows world didn't object to handing MS money for going to WinXP from Win2k.

I actually had a go at someone commenting on a news factor article when they compared Mac OS X.2 to a M$ Service Pack suggesting that Apple is screwing us because we have to pay for our update.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by madamimadam

I actually had a go at someone commenting on a news factor article when they compared Mac OS X.2 to a M$ Service Pack suggesting that Apple is screwing us because we have to pay for our update.

Not to get too far off topic but Apple just dropped the ball on this one. They stated before that single point increases would be free updates and that whole version or .5 versions would be pay upgrades. If they wanted to change it, they should have announced it ahead of time better, changed what the version was(10.5 comes to mind), or changed the name like MS does(doubtful since they've focused so much on the Mac OS X name). People only griped for the most part because it was perceived they were getting taken advantage of. Perception is the issue.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Ok, M$ ripps you off. say yo had win95 and wanted to goto XP Pro. They have to fork out AUD$695 adn then get their free updates for a few years and then upgrade again. AUD$200 for XP 2 or whatever.

Now lets look at Mac OS. AUD$229 upfront for a very good stable OS. free .x.x updates, which are like service packs. Then pay for the next big one at AUD$229. If my maths is right using MacOS i have saved AUD$437. Which is enough for another version of MacOS.

Who is getting ripped.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by benixau
Ok, M$ ripps you off. say yo had win95 and wanted to goto XP Pro. They have to fork out AUD$695 adn then get their free updates for a few years and then upgrade again. AUD$200 for XP 2 or whatever.

Now lets look at Mac OS. AUD$229 upfront for a very good stable OS. free .x.x updates, which are like service packs. Then pay for the next big one at AUD$229. If my maths is right using MacOS i have saved AUD$437. Which is enough for another version of MacOS.

Who is getting ripped.

Almost another 2 versions
:)

Why in the world would people upgrade from 95 to 98 to Me to 2000 to XP?

Do it the easy way and cheaper way--just buy XP Pro and install from scratch. It's 99USD educational.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by swahilibill
how do i turn off the eye candy? thanks in advance

Start
"Right" Click "My Computer"
"Left" Click "Properties"
Click "Advanced"
Click the "Settings" button under the heading "Performance"
Click "Adjust for best performace"
And just ok that off

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Now why, for the love of God, can't Apple add a checkbox to turn off eye candy. You'd think if the Devil Incarnate could add that feature, Apple could--just turning off all the translucence alone in OS X, I wouldn't need Quartz Extreme...

Re: Re: 100 to 1

Originally posted by LethalWolfe

5 year olds are rockin' on video games (I loved my Atari 2600 when I was five) so I don't think a double click is too big of a challenge for a kid these days (kids like to mash buttons anyway, so they'll soon figure out that "mash once" is different from "mash twice" and "mash three times" does nothing at all ;)).
Lethal

I got my iMac G3 when my son was 3. I bought a printer the next night, opened it, sat it on my desk, and went to sleep. When I woke up, my 3 year old son had a stack of Mickey Mouse pictures. I asked him where they came from and he replied "The computer gave them to me." He was easily able to figure out how to hook up a USB cable. I'm not sure how he actually figured out how to make the printer print, though it was an option in a game that I had bought him and he had played with a little. He knows that, in his words, "Macintosh has an apple up there, and Windows has a window down there." He can use the start menu and apple menu to navigate to the program he wants, but of course he has to recognize the icon. He's not too good with OSX, but with me working more hours and him in kindergarten now, I haven't had as much time to help him. But, when I put an icon for a game on the desktop, he has absolutely no problem double-clicking.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by MacCoaster

Why in the world would people upgrade from 95 to 98 to Me to 2000 to XP?

Do it the easy way and cheaper way--just buy XP Pro and install from scratch. It's 99USD educational.

Wow, what ignorance ..... I said AUD, not USD. and that is a straight outright brand new. as i know, and so should you, you cant upgrade from 95 to XP, at all!! Ther3efore it is a new purchase. BTW an upgrade version of XP Pro is AUD$400. still almost two version of mac os.

Sorry, mac os is so much more economical in terms of price i think i might (dare i say it) live with the ocst of buying 10.2 brand new. If i wasnt getting a new computer with it pre-installed.

Mac OS is always good value for money. There are two version of it, OS X and OS X Server. in the windblow world, there are many more .... XP Home, XP Pro, 2k Server, 2k Advanced Server, 2k Datacentre Server. The last for 10 users is about AUD$3000.

OS X Server 10.2 with unlimited users is AUD$1799. Once again Mac OS X is cheaper. And it does everything the other does aswell.

DeadlyBreakfast

macrumors regular
Re: Re: Re: 100 to 1

Originally posted by TimDaddy

I got my iMac G3 when my son was 3. I bought a printer the next night, opened it, sat it on my desk, and went to sleep. When I woke up, my 3 year old son had a stack of Mickey Mouse pictures. I asked him where they came from and he replied "The computer gave them to me." He was easily able to figure out how to hook up a USB cable. I'm not sure how he actually figured out how to make the printer print, though it was an option in a game that I had bought him and he had played with a little. He knows that, in his words, "Macintosh has an apple up there, and Windows has a window down there." He can use the start menu and apple menu to navigate to the program he wants, but of course he has to recognize the icon. He's not too good with OSX, but with me working more hours and him in kindergarten now, I haven't had as much time to help him. But, when I put an icon for a game on the desktop, he has absolutely no problem double-clicking.

DeadlyBreakfast

macrumors regular
Re: Re: Re: 100 to 1

Originally posted by TimDaddy

Please have you son submit a resume to me. He apparently has more skill then most of our management staff..... :D

Wow, what ignorance ..... I said AUD, not USD. and that is a straight outright brand new. as i know, and so should you, you cant upgrade from 95 to XP, at all!! Ther3efore it is a new purchase. BTW an upgrade version of XP Pro is AUD$400. still almost two version of mac os.
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/...sp?strPFN=Windows+XP+Professional&strRet=TRUE
It's 199 AUD for Academic full version.

And actually, you can upgrade from 95 to 98 to XP. But seriously, who would do that now? Just get the $199 XP Pro and install from scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.