Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suraj

macrumors member
Original poster
After following the OS X/Windows Networking Thread stickied at the top of this forum to set up my wi-fi network which consists of:

-Thinkpad running XP
-iBook with Airport

Both connect to my Microsoft Wireless Router and have the same workgroup. However, when using the Thinkpad and going to "Network Neighbourhood" and selecting "View Workgroup Computers" XP says the workgroup is not accesible. I can however ping my iBook succesfully and also connect to it using 'run' : \\ipaddress.

However, I CANNOT access/ping my Thinkpad from my iBook, nor can I 'Connect to Server' from Finder.

:confused:

Any ideas?

(Firewall is disabled)

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
samba

your problem is in windows file sharing, non?

you need to make sure you have a user account on the windows computer that is the same username/password as on your mac..

and you also need to make sure in the samba setup file, the workgroup is specified as the same as your windows workgroup.

in directory access in the /applications/utilities directory, click on SMB, configure, and make sure the workgroup is the same as your windows workgroup.

that should do it.

I had this problem the first time I ever tried to connect using panther.

bring back jaguar's windows file sharing ability.

moo

suraj

macrumors member
Original poster
dragula53 said:
your problem is in windows file sharing, non?

you need to make sure you have a user account on the windows computer that is the same username/password as on your mac..

and you also need to make sure in the samba setup file, the workgroup is specified as the same as your windows workgroup.

in directory access in the /applications/utilities directory, click on SMB, configure, and make sure the workgroup is the same as your windows workgroup.

that should do it.

I had this problem the first time I ever tried to connect using panther.

bring back jaguar's windows file sharing ability.

moo

if samba = smb then yes I have setup my workgroup name in directory access.

I don't have a username setup in Windows that is the same as my Mac username. I would have thought that I'd at least be prompted to enter a username or password or something. Weird, I'm officially not a fan of Panther's Windows File Sharing.

I'll try making a user account on the PC thats the same as my iBook login.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
You don't need the usernames to match. XP will prompt you once it sees the other computer. Your problem lies in that it doesn't see the other computer.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
On the Mac, make sure you can ping the PC box from Terminal. Next, make sure you've shared a folder or disk on the PC. Next, make sure that you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the PC under Control Panel, Networking...

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
hmm

legion said:
You don't need the usernames to match. XP will prompt you once it sees the other computer. Your problem lies in that it doesn't see the other computer.

I never got the "prompt" :p

Ah, I think that I was reading along about the user name.. you have to have a common user name to have a home directory

however... for a thorough tutorial..

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/03/18/samba.html

meeps

jpk

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
I remember reading something that Microsoft has done something to make it so Macs won't work well with their hardware, or whatever. However, that's a long shot, the router probably ain't the problem.

Cheers,
JPGK

suraj

macrumors member
Original poster
AH HA!

Found the problem,

the culprit was "Norton Internet Security 2003" on the Thinkpad which was preventing access to the workgroup. This explains why the PC could connect to the MAC but the MAC couldn't see the PC on the network.

Thanks for the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.