XP = Extra Persistant?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Invizzible, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

I just had the pleasure of updating a Windows machine after a few years of being basically Mac only.

My PC [which I only used for scanning, with a scanner that has no OS X driver] already had Windows XP pro on it, but I needed to bring it up to date, in order to get it hooked up to my internet connection. Here's what I had to do:

First, plugging in the ethernet cable did not put it on the internet (with the Mac, it's a simple matter of plugging in the cable).
    So, my neighbor [an IT guy] had to go into the settings and turn on the TCP/IP stuff.

Then I had to download a whole butt load of upgrades. Then I had to restart. Then I had to go back to the Windows upgrade sight and download 25 more upgrades. Then I had to restart. Then I had to go back to the Windows upgrade sight and download service pack 2. Then I had to restart

(my neighbor told me that if I do all the downloads in one fell swoop that I'd end up with problems)

Then I had to uninstall Norton Anti Virus so I could then install the current version. Then I had to download the upgrades for that. Finally, I still have to download some spyware protection junk, and now my sister is telling me I also need to download something something else to allow Japanese characters.

And if I'm not extremely vigilant (and even if I am), I'm probably gonna end up with a virus or spyware problem.

What a joke. What a splash of cold water in the face after getting used to OS X.

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I guess you could say experiences may vary. I rarely had any issues getting my XP box connected to the internet. And I avoided the Update Hell by making a XP CD that had all current updates integrated.. Didn't have any problems with viruses and spyware, either. Just used some common sense, and avoided using the built-in MS apps (OE, IE, etc.).
    Last time I had any virus on my computer was back when Windows 3.1 was common, and I was new to computers.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo