XP freezes before login!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Bubbasteve, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Hey all,

This problem has happened to me three times so far....If I restart my computer and hold down option the bootcamp menu appears (as it should)...and then when XP finally loads up my mouse cursor won't move and my keyboard doesn't work...

Unofrtunately, I need XP for my VB.Net class...if I have to reinstall XP for the upteenth time I'm going to have to go to my teacher's office and get the discs from her...I don't have a problem getting the discs but it's just inconvenient -- especially if somebody out there had a similar problem and can assist me in fixing mine.

Please answer ASAP thanks everyone!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

It's actually a logitech mac only keyboard and mouse set ( i can't think of the product name)....but it worked before on XP.

I did plug in my wired USB keyboard/mouse and it still doesn't want to cooperate

4. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have anything besides the KB & mouse plugged in?

This kind of thing seems to happen during device detection or when SP2 is missing...

B

6. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Can you get into safe mode fine every single time? Could be something that was recently installed...you can use system restore to go back to a previous date. Have you checked the event viewer logs to see if there are any messages that could guide you in the right direction?

7. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Now that I think about it...it hasn't worked since I installed the Zune software on my XP partition (don't ask me why, I just was curious to see what it was all about)...some coincidence.

I don't have my install discs at home (i'm home from college for Thanksgiving)...but once I have the install discs what can I do if my keyboard and mouse won't sync? will XP automatically see that I have an XP boot disc in the drive? Do I have to press a certain button -- sorry I'm sort of a newb when it comes to XP

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

is windows broken? wow! I had a similar problem to you. For some reason if i just kept restarting it over and over and over until it finally came to life. Has been working fine since. I know this isn much help but it worked for me. You know windows... needs a kick to get going:rolleyes:

9. Bubbasteve thread starter macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

That fixed my problem once before but I've booted into windows about 20 times, rather, I TRIED to boot into Windows 20 times....I'll try a couple more times