XP get's OS X dock...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eclipse525, Nov 14, 2003.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I'm sure that this was posted but I just found out about it and it's actually pretty cool. It's a way to have an OSX style dock on your XP system. What do you think? I heard it's alittle buggy but worth it. I wonder why, h.mmmm?

http://www.mobydock.com/

~e

2. slowtreme macrumors 6502

3. primalman macrumors 6502a

I'm sensing a lawsuit....or at least a cease and desist order....

:eek:

4. leet1 macrumors 6502

Why would you want to do this? :confused:

Apple didn't invent the dock, lol

5. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Actually, Yes, they did invent it.

6. slowtreme macrumors 6502

The Dock is a just shortcut/task launcher in the most simple definition, that's not an Apple creation. The visualization of resizing icons might be attributed to Apple, but only if applied to a shortcut/task bar with a semi transparent background that sits at the bottom of the screen.

I've been using "Dock Like" applications for years with tools like Litestep and others using zoomers for animation. Apple is the first to build it into an OS.

Mobydock does not ship with any Apple icons, so it does not infringe on anything by itself.

7. leet1 macrumors 6502

Ok, tell me this. What year/version did the dock get introduced?

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Apple would have to sue quite a few companies because there are more then a few dock apps out there. Here's my desktop. Feel free to [​IMG] if you must. :p

Its either this or:

Apple contacts me to Beta test OS X for x86
    or
    A G5 PowerBook comes out tomorrow.

Until them this will have to do.

Attached Files:

9. primalman macrumors 6502a

Even if it does not include specific "Apple" icons or is even transparent, the look and feel of the Dock - along with its specific activities, ie magnification, the little triangle, etc - can infringe upon the IP of the dock, and maybe upon patents/trademarks if so protected.

Look and feel is a legitimate legal tool. Apple has used it inthe past, remember the eMachines iMac look-alike that Apple won injunctions against?

All I was saying anyway was that this could be an IP infringment.

10. leet1 macrumors 6502

11. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

FYI these apps have been out for at least 2+ years. I know that as I type this someone is working on Expose for XP. Its a grassroots thing.

Also consider that non of these companies or people are making any money off of this. Its being given away for free. Does Apple have any say in this if its free?

12. primalman macrumors 6502a

Whether or not something is free has no bearing on whether or not it could be violating copyright, trademark or patent. It is the act of violating that is the issue.

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

By default the look and feel of the dock is way diff from apple's dock. You have to add a skin to get the background. Add the icons. All from other sources then the software originator. And as I pointed out before these companies or people are giving these apps away for free. I'm not a legal expert but there is some play in there if the company isn't making a profit off of a patent. eMachines was obviously looking to cash in on the look/feel of the iMacs.
    Also as I stated before it’s been a few years since these apps were released. I know of 3 off the top of my head. If memory serves there is something similar to a statute of limitations for perusing an IP infringement lawsuit sort of a you snooze you loose thing. Anyone know more on this?

14. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm not entirely sure if Apple owns the dock... or not.. I dunno, but in regard to your question.. if i steal your car and give it away... do you have a say?

The dock is a great design, its fun to use and I'm not surprised that Windoze users want it... let 'em have it. MS will eventually make some craptastic version of it and market it as their own anyway. :)

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

But then Microsoft or Dell will come out and say that they are the first to come out with the technology. ;)

16. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm not 100%... but I think that's what I said too.... :p

17. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

OK you are equating ethics with law? You should know better :p ;) The law may see things different and honestly can you really compare copying the look and feel of the dock to stealing a car?!?!!? Its a bad example.

18. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Jeez, this is a waste of a thread.

Lets sue Apple over using fast user switching like XP...

19. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

1987 - The Original NEXTSTEP OS from wich OS X came from. Apple bought them, and then NeXT Inc did a reverse take over and kicked out most of the Apple people (nevermind that people working at Next were originally from Apple A.K.A Steve Jobs)...not that it matters, unless they have a patent or TM, it doesn't matter much does it??

20. Jonathan Amend macrumors member

Apple did sue/"Cease and Desist" everyone that made something which gave Windows the Mac OS X look. This is why Y'z Dock died and why you can no longer find Aqua themes on themexp.org. It won't be long before all the new brushed metal themes disappear too. Mody Dock, by default, doesn't act like the dock (it just sits on top of the task bar), and, by default, it has a Luna theme with Windows XP style icons, which is why Apple couldn't sue it.

21. Island Roots macrumors regular

Apple forced the halting and discontinuation of YzDock, a program for Windows which emulates the dock most commonly found in Mac OS X.

Why they haven't gone for the other dock programs for Windows is beyond me.

22. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

23. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, Apple do have a patent on the dock.

24. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Wow. Didn't see that one!

Thanks.