xp home or xp pro for mac pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by padré, Oct 20, 2006.

1. padré macrumors regular

sooo

i got my mac pro for about 3 days now, and i really wanna buy xp for my mac (yeah i love games, can't help it) BUT, i found a place where windows xp is really cheap, so i was wondering wich one to buy, cause i seem to have read somewhere that the pro version causes some problems while installing

can somebody help me :)

thx

2. durandal77 macrumors newbie

Either will do, really - depends on what you're gonna use it for ..

XP Home AFAIK only supports 2 cores, where XP Pro will support all 4 cores in your machine. If you want/need to fully utilize all its power, XP Pro is the way to go. Whether you'll actually notice any difference between the two depends completely on the kind of programs you'll be running - it's a fairly limited group of pro applications (3D, videoediting etc..) that can do anything useful with all 4 cores. For normal day-to-day home use and most current games, it won't really make much, if any, difference.

So it really depends on what you want to use it for.

On a different note, xp home is also ever so slightly "dumbed down" compared to xp pro (fewer features and options for tinkering). Again, whether this is an issue for you or not, depends on what you wanna do with it ....

Personally, i use xp pro and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member