XP on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Apr 10, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

My son left his old Dell at home and took another PC with him to college. The Dell hadn't been used in a year or so. I thought it would be fun to "play" with the PC.
    Turned it on and got 4 error messages right off the bat. This was about 3 weeks ago, and I still don't know what they mean. But the computer works, so I thought what the heck. I found some viral "particles" on it and since the AntiViral definitions haven't been updated in about a year, I went on line and ponied up for an update to the antiviral program. Since it was only a short upgrade to get their Norton System Works, I thought ok, what the heck.
    Well, a day and a half later, and I finally got it all to work--I think. I won't bore you with the details, but it's so frustrating it isn't funny.

I'm glad to be back on the Mac today. It just works!!
    NOW, what are we getting ourselves into with XP on a Mac??

A computer friend told me that even though XP and OSX are on different partitions, there is a low level of communication between the two that can transfer a virus, etc. Who knows??? It could be true--I guess.

Frank

2. menziep macrumors 6502a

Ill only try it when Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.5 ComeOut

3. sabor macrumors regular

sabor

Unless you have MacDrive so that the Windows installation could see the Mac partition, I think that in a worst case scenario, a PC virus would infect all files on the Windows partition, leaving your mac files safe. Even if it was a super nasty virus that deletes everything, I doubt it would be able to do anything to your mac partition.

As a rule: make sure your windows updates are up to date and get an anti-virus.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>make sure your windows updates are up to date and get an anti-virus.<,

Hee, hee, THAT was the problem. I installed Norton System Works (NSW) after uninstalling (I thought) the old NSW w Norton Anti Virus (NAV). Well, NAV didn't originally install w NSW, as it should have. It took a trip to the Symantec on line help, which was pretty good, to locate a registry entry still related to my old NAV. Symantec was able to delete the registry entry and I was finally able to install NAV.

Frank

5. Togglehead macrumors 6502

NSW can really slow a system down.....i suggest a freeAV...such as www.freeav.com

works better, and uses less resources in my experience.

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>NSW can really slow a system down<<

I have a gig of ram on the Dell and has really slowed down with all the stuff NSW installs. I may go back and just run NAV without all the other extraneous stuff. Or turn off all the "auto" stuff other than NAV. I would think it's all the loading of unneeded parts that slows things down.

Frank