XP on Mac - should i throw my PC box in the trash?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by crazycat, Apr 18, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would like to know if i can toss my PC box in the trash can. I use my PC for a few softwares and play new games for a short amount of time. I would like to setup 1 mac that i can dual boot insted of having a pc and loging on to the pc when i want to play games and so on. I gave Bootcamp and i like it but am i ready to thorw my PC box and never buy another PC again?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why don't you set your Mac up with XP/Bootcamp and get it running as smoothly as you can?

Put the PC in a cupboard, garage or somewhere out of the way for a couple of weeks or months and see if you ever need to drag it out and use it.

If after a period of time you haven't gone back to it, then chuck it away or give it to someone.

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I am sure the local community center or maybe school would be glad of it.

bootcamp should be fine (as much as a windows machine can)

4. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

computers should not be thrown in the trash due to the amount of toxic materials conatined in them.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You keep toxic materials in your trash can? ;) :p :p

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

As long as you're not planning on selling the PC, I would suggest keeping it, but using boot camp for now. Once whatever permanant solution is going to come out comes out, then you can get rid of the PC (remember, boot camp is only temporary, and the software will expire). That will keep you covered in case something happens.

7. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I did not mean literally.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

While I'm going to keep this generation of Mac/PC, my next PC will be a truly pimp MBP (I'm saving up till the 64-bit ones, though)

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I'd keep the PC, bung Linux or FreeBSD on it and use it as a headless fileserver/backup/general server plaything....

10. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Seconded. If you have any interest in Linux, turn the machine into a Linux box. It's really a fine OS and it'll teach you a lot.

I turned my B&W G3 into a Gentoo server (SMB, WWW, et cetera) and it's great. I have a couple hundred gigabytes of stuff on it and a couple Applescripts that automatically mount its shares. It's slow compared to a local hard drive, but it's also extremely dependable and nice for when I skitz out and decide to format my iMac's HD and reinstall everything.

11. jsalicru macrumors regular

The only issue I've had with XP on Mac is with MSN Messenger. Not just MSN the program itself, but something that has to do with loggin into the MSN network or something. Trillian and MSN messenger cause my system to randomly throw out blue screens when setting up the options for MSN log-in.

That's it. Everything else works great. I was a little discouraged of the fact that the BT mouse is a one button mouse but the program that one can download to allow CTRL+click to work as a right click works perfectly.

My PC is now at my office since Im tired of setting up my laptop on a daily basis.

12. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

Feel free to donate it to ME ;) I like to pay shipping for things coming my way - and I could really use a *nix firewall boxen.

13. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Talking about trash, shouldn't that be litterally? :D