Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think About XP on a Mac

• Awesome

Votes: 97 39.8%
  • it's ok

Votes: 85 34.8%
  • It sickens me

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • I'm horrified

Votes: 19 7.8%

• Total voters

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Rehash of everything everyone's said before:

I love it. It means I can finally run visual studio 2005 outside of virtualpc, it means I can do my homework outside of vpc (Windows only stuff, yes, it exists), it means I can play games without vpc... It means I finally don't have to run things in an emulator and waste more time waiting than doing things. (I do have a PC with Windows XP on it, but I like to do work when I have time in between classes, so that usually means most of my homework's done on my iBook)

Some people need Windows. Please understand this. I'm fine with your point of view, but to go as far as saying "shame on you" and saying crap like "its just children doing this.."...ugh. It's one less computer to spend money on and build, it's one less computer taking up space... Obviously the people saying "UGH!" are the people who have no need for it, but look at all the people saying otherwise - they do need it, and running it on their already existing Mac is a huge plus.

And on top of that, if I weren't an uptime whore, I would install OS X, Windows and Linux all on the same Mac. I don't see how I have to limit myself to one OS all the time. Triplebooting would be sweet. Triplebooting plus the alternative of running the OS inside of another OS is also sweet. I don't much care either way.

And bursty, DVD-RB is not for OS X, and there is no program anywhere close to it (not even d-vision or dvd2onex). In fact, I'm virtually sick of the "alternatives exist!" argument. It's like comparing Gimp to Photoshop. Noooooooooo freaking way.

Save the fanboyness for comp.sys.mac.advocacy, kthx.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I don't have a problem with running Windows on a Mac. What I do have a problem with is people who get all bent out of shape because everyone isn't exactly like them. Everyone has different needs. I'm all for anything that makes things a bit easier.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It is good news because...

1. Some people just want to run Windows XP. Actually, most people nowadays buy computers that come with Windows XP. I personally think it is much better if these people don't have a choice only between Dell, HP and eMachines, but a choice between Dell, HP, eMachines and Apple. Every single Macintosh that is sold to run Windows XP is more profit for Apple, and more money to put into development of the hardware and MacOS X.

2. Some people have to buy a computer that is capable of running Windows XP. Their boss tells them: Buy any computer you like, as long as it can run Windows XP. Not because there is any good reason for it, just because that is what the boss says. This used to mean that you couldn't buy a Macintosh. Now you can buy a Macintosh and happily run MacOS X, because the Macintosh can run Windows XP (if you could be bothered to install it which you never had time to do). So for some people being able to run Windows would be helpful, just so they can check a box in their purchase requirements, not because they want to run Windows!

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Macmadant said:
A lot of you may feel different than me, but i think it is terrible that people are running Xp on their macs, i often say i dislike intel, then others say "it doesn't matter whats underneath it's mac osx i love" then the very purpose for which they brought a mac for has gone, once they install a inferior OS, so the very reason they brought the mac was because they hated XP, i don't know about you, but i hate the thought Of windows, an ugly OS running on such a beautiful computer.
Well, check your own poll; you're clearly in the minority. (By a large margin.)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Macmadant said:
A lot of you may feel different than me, but i think it is terrible that people are running Xp on their macs, i often say i dislike intel, then others say "it doesn't matter whats underneath it's mac osx i love" then the very purpose for which they brought a mac for has gone, once they install a inferior OS, so the very reason they brought the mac was because they hated XP, i don't know about you, but i hate the thought Of windows, an ugly OS running on such a beautiful computer.

do you like know, anything?

the key thing is dual booting, i dont think it's even possible to boot windows without OS X installed, some people need some windows software thus need to boot windows just for that software, or when video drivers have been done gamers.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think "its ok". I use VPC currently for a few apps I need for uni and that's fine for me. I can totally understand why people would want to dual boot. However, if you choose to predominantly use XP over OS X then I might think you're crazy, but in the end I don't care because I don't have to use it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
it's of no use to me, but I think it will make more people use and appreciate macs, so even though it looks unnatural, I'm ok with it.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Being able to use Windows on a Mac is getting more for your money. You are enabling a wider range of computing.

Let the Apple vs. Microsoft Battle die finally. It's a useless pissing contest.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
I am almost entirely a Mac user. I love my Mac. But, invariably, there are things I want to do on my computer that I could only do on Windows.

So, I have a choice. I could buy a second PC to complement my iBook. Or, alternatively, I could replace it with one machine, an Intel Mac, which runs both natively.

It's an absolute no-brainer.

For those who don't want or need to run Windows on a Mac, good for you. Just don't say that it's sickening. What others do on their computer is absolutely none of your business. :p

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
i voted sicken me...

cause it does...but i do agree with both sides...some people need it and I tap them on the back for buying a mac and understand their needs for xp sadly as well...

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Macmadant said:

A Mac is a computer, its a tool, not a lifestyle, not a sign of a high social standing, installing Windows on it doesn't bring your status down any, its a ****ing machine people. Those of you who think about puking over an operating system on a machine seriously need something else to occupy their time.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
vniow said:
<snip>

Those of you who think about puking over an operating system on a machine seriously need something else to occupy their time.

These are the same types who predicted the end of the world when Apple switched to Intel in the first place. To them, being able to run Windows natively on a Mac is the second sign of the apocalypse.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
vniow said:
A Mac is a computer, its a tool, not a lifestyle, not a sign of a high social standing, installing Windows on it doesn't bring your status down any, its a ****ing machine people. Those of you who think about puking over an operating system on a machine seriously need something else to occupy their time.
I am so glad there are people like you on the forums. Bravo.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
vniow said:
What she said.
Damn!! Impressed...

taylorpohlman

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
Windows Compatibility Sells Macs, that's why

For all those who are offended by running Windows on Mac hardware, remember that lots of Mac lovers are stuck in groups and companies where Windows Apps must be used - I not talking about Office or OpenOffice, I've used that with no problems to share docs, etc. I'm talking about groupware that can't be run through conversion filters, stuff like Groove, that only works on a Windows PC. Without Virtual PC, as bad as it is, I would have had to convert, or at least buy an Windows machine.

The point above about Explorer is correct also - as braindead as it is, some sites refuse to support multiple browsers, and require a Windows machine. Stupid, but if you have to get to that site, you have no choice. OS X has gone a long way with Windows networking compatibility and VPN software, etc. but there are still people out there who don't understand that the Web is about compatability with multiple platforms, not an extension of the Windows desktop.

Also, the point about testing Windows Browsers is important - without the ability to do that using IE under XP, a lot of web developers would need dual machines - a waste compared to running an emulator to quickly check things out.

So, get rid of the "religious issues" about degrading the Mac by running Windows - that attitude almost did Apple in during the late 80s/early 90s. Think about what would keep everybody, including corporate America, in OS X 90% of the time - then you'll really see that share number rise, and more ports of good stuff to the Mac.

T

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
taylorpohlman said:
For all those who are offended by running Windows on Mac hardware, remember that lots of Mac lovers are stuck in groups and companies where Windows Apps must be used - I not talking about Office or OpenOffice, I've used that with no problems to share docs, etc. I'm talking about groupware that can't be run through conversion filters, stuff like Groove, that only works on a Windows PC. Without Virtual PC, as bad as it is, I would have had to convert, or at least buy an Windows machine.

The point above about Explorer is correct also - as braindead as it is, some sites refuse to support multiple browsers, and require a Windows machine. Stupid, but if you have to get to that site, you have no choice. OS X has gone a long way with Windows networking compatibility and VPN software, etc. but there are still people out there who don't understand that the Web is about compatability with multiple platforms, not an extension of the Windows desktop.

Also, the point about testing Windows Browsers is important - without the ability to do that using IE under XP, a lot of web developers would need dual machines - a waste compared to running an emulator to quickly check things out.

So, get rid of the "religious issues" about degrading the Mac by running Windows - that attitude almost did Apple in during the late 80s/early 90s. Think about what would keep everybody, including corporate America, in OS X 90% of the time - then you'll really see that share number rise, and more ports of good stuff to the Mac.

T

I just hope that all those users will be in OSX for 90% of the time like you said, however some people are just doing it for the games. That can probably be like 50-60% of Windows usage. Yes, people can do whatever they want with their computers, but we all do want Mac OS X to keep growing and gain more support.

I also wonder how many people here or that will try this actually is going to go out an purchase a copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. To do this legally you have to go out and support MS and purchase it. Most people still have no choice in this windows program driven world unfortunately. Let's try to create more choices by supporting Mac OS X and even Linux.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Maybe I can add a different perspective about this. I'm primarily a PC user but do have a B&W G3 running 10.3 as a second box. Id count my Quadra 950 as a mac but its more a paperweight but a cool one :)

Anyway LONG ago I was so sick of DOS / Windows 3.x that I decided to try IBM's OS/2. It was great. Love it. It was rock solid, it was different and I was proud to run it because of the fact that it was not common and hey it worked very well. I ran all my DOS and Win 3.1 apps just as well, plus i could run native OS/2 apps which were around but not so many. I watched friends suffer with Win 3.1 and win 95 and I laughed.

...then came NT4. I decided to try it. Wow, I was surprised. It was still nastly looking like 95, but you know, it was pretty stable and very responsive and multitasked well. I ran my OS/2 but after some time I decided to dual boot to NT4. At first I was sickened at what I was doing. I was supporting Microcrap and there was nothing unique about this thing but as time went on, I realized that it doesnt matter. I was able to run every app I had with great stability and speed. Shortly after, I had no guilt about running what ever I wanted. Its about convenience and not brand loyalty. If product X does what you want, then use it. Who cares what it is and who made it.

The moral of the story is live is short and we're gonna die. Enjoy what ever programs you want to use and stop worrying about politics. In fact, I love XP now. I have had no issues with it and I dont even run Antivirus. I just make sure its up to date and watch where I surf. Its fast, its stable and supports tons of hardware. There are a huge amount of games available for it too. Great multimedia platform. It would be great to have a mac that can dual boot into a different environment and run the apps at full speed and for the people who are whining... its your own loss. You're emposing some limitation on yourself for no reason. Steve jobs is not going to come give you a hug because you're against running windows on a Mac.
I kno

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Don M. said:
Well, check your own poll; you're clearly in the minority. (By a large margin.)

It horrifies me, and sickens me are practically the same so i wouldn't call 26% a minority, and no it's ok and awesome are not the same as people who think it's awesome will do it, people who think it's ok aren't really that bothered.

XFce said:
I agree with that 100 percent
and someone obviously agrees with me

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
what i think is, macrumors.com is going to be a forum (not entirely, but surely increasingly) on how to "repair" window$ problems.

i have also noticed an increase in noobs sounding like nelson (from the simpsons), which is annoying, and praising how great window$ is.

there are people here, who hate window$. imo, a "real" mac user would not publicly state that the he/she installed window$ in his/her macintel.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
iBunny said:
Instead of buying 2 computers, I now can just buy one... a mac... and have OSX and Windows in 1...

An even cheap alternative is to buy a Mac and pirate XP.......

;)

I'm a naughty boy

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Macmadant said:
It horrifies me, and sickens me are practically the same so i wouldn't call 26% a minority, and no it's ok and awesome are not the same as people who think it's awesome will do it, people who think it's ok aren't really that bothered.
Actually "Awesome" and "it's ok" do have the same amount of overlap as your "horrifies" and "sickens" point. Face it, split it down the middle and 73.02% are for Windows running on a Mac and 26.98% are against it.

In other words, 3 out of 4 Mac users don't mind/support Windows running on a Mac.

Juggle the numbers however you'd like, you're clearly in the minority.
and someone obviously agrees with me
Nifty. The two of you should get a room together and exchange some elitist Mac fundamentalist love!

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Oh, I'll also reference this poll at MacPolls which asked a similar question but with much better questions/data points than yours. Current sample size is 9,601 respondents.

Don't worry, you're still in the minority!

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
I honestly think it's ok just for the simple fact of gaming. I'd really like to have the best of both worlds ya know?

I'm just surprised that nobody has posted a pic of their iMac with a Blue Screen :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.