XP runs slow and choppy! - too slow clockspeed??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ZballZ, Dec 30, 2006.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

I finally managed to get XP fully working on my 15" C2MBP. But it does seem rather slow and choppy - I cant even play music in the mediaplayer without little hickups once in a while. When I click-and-drag open windows around, it shows weird traces, like it cant keep up!? This seems very odd, since using bootcamp, I thought windows XP would run native and flawless??

I checked the properties on "this computer", and everything seems right - except one place where it says "977 MHz". At first I thought that refers to current clockspeed, which would be the problem then. But after a little research, it seems that this refers to the FSB-speed - (weird since it should only be 677!?)

Any help would be appreciated. Windows should run smooth, right? Any way to check the clockspeed? And what could be the problem?

EDIT: I am a video-editor, and normally use FinalCutPro on my Mac, and Avid on the PC. I really need the XP to run smoothly - this way I dont have to drag two systems with me all the time...

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Hmm something is wrong somewhere, probably with the partition. Have you ran all updates and installed all partitions?, try checking for errors and i guess defragging. My XP partition works flawlessly.

Only caveat is it bring the fans up more and battery life seems hampered. Otherwise all good.

3. Mernak macrumors 6502

Any chance we could get a screenshot of the "Properties" of "My Computer". I don't know why its doing that. Are you sure you updated the firmware and installed the drivers (doubt the drivers would affect it, but its worth a try)

4. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Cant get the screenshot-thing working in XP, but here is what the "my computer" properties say:

Computer:
    Intel(r) Core(TM)2 CPU
    T7600 add 2.33 GHz
    977 MHz, 1,98 GB RAM

I guess this is right.

I actually think it runs everything fine EXCEPT playing music?! I have tried playing the same mp3 file in both OSX and XP - OSX plays it fine, and the mediaplayer in XP plays it really choppy - annoying as hell!! Maybe it is a sounddriver issue? (or maybe a mediaplayer issue)?

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

It could be the video drivers. If XP is using generic drivers for some reason that would really slow your machine down. I guess reinstalling the bootcamp drivers would help if that is the problem. Make sure you've burned the latest versio if the bootcamp drivers (1.1.2, I think) to CD.

Anyway, XP on Boot Camp is working well for many people, so I'm pretty sure there is a solution to your problem, so don't give up. Good luck.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The 977 is the current clock speed of the CPU, not the FSB.

And to do a screenshot, hit print screen and then open up paint and hit paste. it's a pain. OS X is better.

7. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

If 977 Mhz is the current clockspeed - how do I get it up to full speed??? No wonder it is choppy then - 977 Mhz is way less than my 3 year old acer laptop!! (AC or Battery makes no difference - it is always on 977 Mhz...?)

PS: and which button is print-screen!?

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

RE: Print Screen - I'm not sure it's changed any from here.

Isn't 1Ghz the lowest speed that the C2D's can be throttled down to? Sounds like a driver issue to me. As painful as it might seem, it might be a good idea to reinstall Boot Camp from scratch?

9. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

I did a clockspeed test which ran 2,29 Ghz - pretty much perfect. I did find something out, though. Several users report choppy audio, sometimes dropframes when playing video, which seems to be a driver issue.

I'll start a new thread, and see if anyone knows about this...