XP to OSX file transfer?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pauld, Feb 27, 2003.

1. pauld macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    Tokyo (London for the holidays!)
    Hi, I downloaded a whole heap of Mp3s from Soulseek onto the PC I use at work.

I simply want to know how to transfer them ontp my iBook via CD.

I tried drag and drop to copy them onto a CDR but my Mac didn't register it and tried to initialise it.

Is anyone smart enough to help?
    Thank-you in advance.
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    Did you actually burn the disk? Did it burn properly? It’s the only thing that I can think of. A Mac should be able to read a CDR/RW data disk.
  3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    if your ibook is running os 9 i can understand this happeneing. i know of times when that type of thing happened when i would bring stuff from home to school when i had a pc...but it only happened with cdrw discs in any mac with a G4 processor...it worked fine in any imac G3, but not the imac G4 or powermac G4
  4. beer macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    the Hague, Netherlands
    may be you should look at the type of initailisation of the CDR/CDRW.. different OS-es require different inits...

and there may be differences in the reading by different hardware.. that's allways possible... with CD

and sometimes.. OS-X is more picky than OS-9

But I would check the way the CD is initialised. and try different types.
  5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    You might want to close the CD when you burn it on the PC. (In otherwords burn it so that no more data can be added later...)

If you have Roxio on your PC at work I would burn it from there instead of dragging and dropping it. (After all, it isn't a Mac.) :)
  6. MorganX macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Re: XP to OSX file transfer?

If you're dragging and dropping from XP, try closing the CD.

If you're dragging and dropping with any other software, don't. Just burn a data CD with all the MP3 files on it and pop it in your Mac.
  7. pauld thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    Tokyo (London for the holidays!)
    thanks for the the information guys - i tried all you said and a few other things but nothing seems to work. maybe its just the PC at work having restrictions, thats all i can come up with.

Now I'm wondering - if I bring my iBook to work can I do that firewire transfer by holding down 't' like I can do between my macs?
  8. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    RE: transfers...

In regards to bringing your Ibook to work for transfer, I am pretty sure target-disk mode doesn't work, but just bring in an extra ethernet cable and network them on your desk. In my experience it is easier to grab the files from the PC to your Mac than vice-versa( I've never really understood OSXs file sharing...) anyway, quick and easy...hope this helps.
  9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    target mode won't work

what format are you burning the CD in?