Xserve 2-3 week delay = upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by robguz, Jul 1, 2002.

1. robguz macrumors member

Strangely, the Xserve is now delayed for shipping until the time of MWNY. A lot of people were saying no way the new powermacs would be faster than the Xserve. Maybe they will also upgrade the Xserve to the same specs before they ship them so there is not a disparity. I think this delay is good news and hopefully means we'll see some decent speed bumps in the towers.

2. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

yes, this is probably good news, maybe a quad processor would be included. Oh Well, the worst it could be is that Apple's selling the hell out of them, which isn't bad either.:D

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

nah... apple usually will still ship stuff even if theres an upgrade the next day...

like apple still sold 8 the day before 9 was released... i wouldnt get yer hopes up...

4. pc2mac_convert macrumors newbie

5. rugby macrumors regular

I'm thinking it's not going to get an upgrade. why piss off the early buyers by upgrading a product that's just shipping?

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

The only reason I can see supporting a delay/upgrade:

If Apple is buying processors in lots of 50,000, and they can tack existing XServe processor orders onto a ramped up schedule for new PMacs, they may be negotiating for a better price buy using the XServe orders for volume.

50,000 1.4GHz processors is cheaper than 46,000.

Or it could be a problem...

7. gbojim macrumors 6502

What is the delay you guys are talking about? Mine are supposed to ship next Monday.

8. GigaWire macrumors 6502

xServes aren't meant to be used as singles, so what would it matter if the desktop G4 is faster? a full rack vs. a 1.4 G4 with DDR333 still lags behind neh? plus the xServe market is a quite one, and doesn't require the epochal setting for announcements that the consumer goods tend to.

9. AlejandroGonzo macrumors member

The delay is so that Apple can put the earnings on the next quarter balance sheet.

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Maybe every xServe is taken in front of dell HQ just to piss off mike dell :D