Xserve as home pc?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jessearl, May 21, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Not knowing anything about servers, is it possible to run an Xserve as your home computer? Would there be any benefit to doing this? Would the speed of a server allow such a computer to have a longer anticipated life-span than the average three years for most computers?

2. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'd just get a powermac. They're pretty much as fast as xserves. I don't know about the xserve, but many servers are REALLY loud, which would be bad for home use.

3. macrumors 68030

Platform

Well the Xserev can have ECC memory.....can be sold with 16gig's of RAM from Apple...Two ethernet ports....1.2TB sorage...Rack mount :rolleyes: ;)

4. macrumors 6502

I have an Xserve G5. I would never consider using it as a home computer, its VERY loud. A PowerMac G5 is a much better option. :)

5. macrumors 68030

Platform

What do you use it for :confused:

6. macrumors Core

to the original poster:

macs have a much longer lifespan than most pcs as it is, 4-6 years on average i would say.

7. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I had a Quadra 610 running in perfect condition for 12 years

8. macrumors 68000

slipper

yes you can use the xserve but i know you need to install a video card. i dont know if a sound card needs to be installed also.

9. macrumors regular

Church

Performa 6115CD still works, only reason it's in it's box is because everyone in the house upgraded, and it's not really equipped to go onto high speed internet very well.... :(

10. macrumors 6502

Managing internal VoIP communications and as a storage server. ;)

11. macrumors G4

Mord

dont, the xserve can only use a pci gfx card, the cpu is slower and it costs more, and it's louder.

12. macrumors 6502

The XServe is a server not a home computer although it could be used as one I wouldnt reccomend it. The one at my school is as big as a coffe table although it is very thing it was meant to be stacked and put in some closet and be accesed not used. A powermac will be much more fendly to your desk space than a Xserve.

13. macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Well I was thinking of having 18 Xserves in rack so I can run SETI :p

hehe

No, seriously the g4 xserves were mind bogglingly loud. The G5 xserves aren't quite so loud but I certainly wouldn't recommend them for home use simply because your paying for server technologies (ecc ram, diagnostics systems, etc) which you wouldn't need.

14. macrumors 6502

javiercr

no graphics

Last time i checked the xserve came with no graphics card or just a ATI RV100 64 MB RAM VGA/PCI graphics card (No AGP or PCI-e) with a VGA connector (not DVI)

15. macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you have to ask you shouldn't do it.

16. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

As others have said, Xserves are HUGE, LOUD, and don't come with sound cards. I had one sitting around for a few weeks (I was setting it up for a school), and it was not pleasant using it on my desk.

[​IMG]

17. macrumors 68000

5300cs

I have one, too; the original 1Ghz model. DON'T use it as a desktop computer, it's WAY too loud. :(