xServe benchmarks in the real world

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by G4scott, Jun 27, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I came upon this page at The Register, and it gave benchmarks for servers in real world applications. Does Apple have any benchmarks of this type for the xServe? It'd be cool to know how one of them (or 42 :D ) stack up to other servers.

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Great to see the X Serve holding its own in the server tests:)

3. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

that's funny... The Sun Fire is barely twice as fast as the xServe, with 6 times as many processors! It probably costs a pretty penny too. The amount of xServe's that you could buy for the price of a Sun Fire 4800 would probably kick the 4800's @$$ (well, maybe, it depends on how clustering works.)

It's good to see that Apple is kicking some dell butt in the server market, since that's where dell makes most of its money. If Apple introduced a whole line of servers, from small, affordable units to bigger, faster, more powerful servers, they could probably be a threat to dell...

Only time will tell what Apple's going to do...

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I just hope apple can get some brand recognition in the corporate market quickly. They're not going to sell anything if IT managers just stick to their ignorance and keep buying their Dull servers

5. OSeXy! macrumors regular

That's great news. I wish the article said how the Xserve compared to the "run of the mill dual G4" they say they also tested. That might have given us some indication of what kind of performace increase to expect from the new G4 towers come MWNY...

6. pc_convert? macrumors regular

The results of testing a 'run of the mill G4' and an XServe can be found here