Xserve July, Mac Pro (PowerMac) in August?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ThinkSecret reports that they have heard that Xserve will take advantage of Intel's upcoming Woodcrest processor. Woodcrest is Intel's successor to the current "Xeon" server-targeted processors. There had been reports that the Woodcrest family of processors would be making it into "Macintosh workstations" as early as 3rd quarter. Indeed, Woodcrest, is expected in June of this year, with the rumor site expecting the Intel Xserve to follow in July.

Meanwhile, PowerMac revisions (Mac Pros) are expected to make the transition to the recently announced Core 2 Duo processors (codenamed Conroe). These processors are expected in July.

ThinkSecret speculates that the PowerMac revisions would come at WWDC, and indeed, MacRumors has received confirmation Intel PowerMac revisions ("Mac Pros") are to be announced at the WWDC Keynote which takes place Aug 7-11, 2006.

2. macrumors 68000

I don't entirely believe ThinkSecret. I do think that it is logical for the XServes to come out first, though, as they will be 100% Woodcrest-Xeon. The Mac Pros will likely contain a mix of Conroe and Woodcrest, as if i understand the way it works correctly, a quad would need to have two woodcrests.

3. Editor emeritus

longofest

And if steve says that the new Mac Pros are 4x as fast as my Quad, I'm going to go down to Cupertino and punch him in the face.

4. macrumors 6502

What and who confirmed to MR that the Mac Pro will be released at WWDC?:confused:

5. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Think Secret's reputation has been pretty shoddy of late, but they aren't really saying too much with this one. It's pretty much along the lines of what people are expecting.

Now that Apple is using the same processors as everyone else, they're release schedule is going to follow the Intel roadmap very closely so that they can stay up-to-date.

6. macrumors member

thinksecret hasn't been right recently, but this is also almost not new.

7. Editor emeritus

longofest

Steve Jobs. Don't you listen to his podcast?

8. macrumors 68030

risc

Is the Conroe even capable of doing SMP? A single dual core Conroe versus a dual dual core G5... I wonder which will be faster? :rolleyes:

9. macrumors G3

puckhead193

god i hope its true. I just hope they make the tower smaller and a lot less heavy.
    I plan on buying either an imac or PM in the summer. Only thing is with the recent release of Final Cut express going universal my hopes of an updated FCS went out the door. (Which was the reason of buying a new mac) o well i still might buy and get express to hold me over till it comes out...

10. Editor emeritus

longofest

Every piece of information we have had up until now has pointed to "No" in regards to the question I believe you are really asking, which is can you place two Conroe chips together. Yes, Conroe is SMP capable because it is a dual-core chip, but so far we have not seen evidence that it will support dual-processor configurations, so in that respect, it will be similar to the Pentium 4.

Of course, if anyone has hard evidence to the contrary (or even hard evidence supporting this idea), please let us know.

p.s. I should note that it is most likely the chipset that accompanies Conroe that is most likely the limiting factor in deploying multi-processor Conroe systems.

11. macrumors 65816

What?

They're not putting Conroe in the towers. No friggin way. Are they crazy? That CPU will be in cheap dell towers!!!

12. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Ha, what a visual! Why? Because he'd by lying, or because you'd be pissed off at having the "slow" machine?

13. macrumors 6502

Mac Fly (film)

"ThinkSecret speculates" Oh, oh!:eek:

14. macrumors 6502

Does that mean it will do the photoshop test of that horse in 4 seconds? Coz it takes my Quad 16secs and my powerbook took 2.5mins. Somehow i believe that he can try to tell us as much as he wants that its 4-5 times faster but he can go to hell.......

15. Editor emeritus

longofest

Because I'd be pissed at having spent over 3 grand for a top-of-the-line machine, only to have him say a year later that I have just been witness to the biggest leap forward in pro-mac desktop performance in this decade.

That, and because he'd be lying while he is at it (so the independent benchmarks say).

16. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I don't think we will see the Mac Pro's at WWDC or this July, but I think we could see some new Xserve's and it will be nice to finally see the Xserve having their own processor like they should have had from the start.

17. macrumors 6502

An Apple high-end desktop announced a month and a half after the processor inside it has been available and shipping? I don't think so, for both competitive reasons of letting Boxx and other high-end systems developers ship Conroe/Woodcrest-based workstations before Apple, and for keeping up the tradition of announcing high-end Macs well before they're CLOSE to shipping. :D

18. macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

cry me a river

geeze.

having newer faster machines doesnt make your machine any slower to you.
    if you are so worried.. ignore the news and enjoy your quad

19. macrumors newbie

As we all know, nothing is "confirmed" until the moment Steve says the word. While it seems plausable, a confirmation of an Apple announcement over two months away is not really a confirmation.

20. macrumors 68040

decksnap

They'd better be putting Woodcrest in the Powermacs.

21. macrumors 6502

I agree. It'll be in high end PC towers so I'd be totally shocked if the best Apple manages in the Mac Pro is a lowly Core Duo.

22. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

It's called technology...deal with it. Sorry to be an @$$ but it's the way technology works my friend :eek:

23. macrumors 65816

it5five

I was going to get my Powermac in late June, but I guess I will hold off and see if Woodcrest or Conroe is going into the Mac Pro's.

24. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

confirmed, as in a 3ghz G5? :p

25. ksz
    macrumors 68000

Only 1 of 3 PowerMac configurations today is dual dual-core. It's possible that 1 of 3 MacPro configurations will be dual dual-core. The story only says that Conroe may appear in MacPro, but this does not rule out an "Oh, I almost forgot, One More Thing..." from the Stevenote. One of the tower configurations may be dual Woodcrested.