Xserve problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Roger1, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Hey all
    I'm having a problem with a server where I work. Here's the story.

We had a g3 B&W running ASIP 6.3, and external firewire HD's holding the data. This machine was on it's last leg, so we set up a G4 tower running 10.2 moved the firewire HDs over, migrated the users, and hoped for the best. I went ahead and installed Norton Systemworks for X, and updated it. I did this to clean up any viruses (virii?) in the data, and to optimize and defrag the external HDs. Well every thing seemed to be ok, but when more than a few people logged on it would crash every time. We thought it might be a hardware issue, because the logs would show no problems.

So we decided to move everything over to our new xserve. I installed the Norton program again and used it to check the data on the external HD's (since the other machine kept freezing.). Guess what? We have the exact same problem on our xserver.

So we uninstalled Nortons thinking this would make a difference. It did not.
    All of the firewire cables are brand new, and work fine.
    We have unlimited liscences for X, so it is a not a liscencing issue.
    On the accounts where they use multiple logins at the same time, the server is set up to allow it.
    About the only thing I haven't done is reinstall the OS, which I am averse to do, because we are in the middle of the school year (I will do it if necessary, though).

Does anybody have any suggestions which way to take my investigation of this issue? Does any one have a clues as to what caused this in the first place?
    Thanks for the help :)

2. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

definitely a Norton issue unfortunately, some people I know have used it will the same results -- not so good. I recommend the clean install being there is nothing else to, but next time I suggest using Intego products and Retrospect, they are much much nicer applications. Hope it works out!

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

don't learn do you? Norton should not be used on any Mac. It more often than not ruins drives. Very poor software.

4. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

don't learn do you? Norton should not be used on any Mac. It more often than not ruins drives. Very poor software.

Ugh. I initally didn't think is was Norton's because I have always had good results in it. That's why I put it on the second machine. Ah, well. Lesson learned, the hard way.

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

DiskWarrior is probably the best disk utility there is (version 3 was just announced at macworld).

one thing you should know about all disk utilities good and bad (techtool, drive10, norton, diskwarrior) is that you should not install them on the machine. when you want to use them simply boot from the cd, run the utility and restart.

refer to these links for more info (sorry i was such an ass before)

http://www.ambitiouslemon.com/hints.php?id=27

http://www.ambitiouslemon.com/hints.php?id=28

6. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

sorry i was such an ass before

Apology accepted :) Sometimes it takes me more than once to learn my lesson :D