Xserve question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by me hate windows, Nov 19, 2003.

1. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Some of you may think I am stupid, but can you use an Xserve with Panther server and use it as a normal computer? Or would you have to put normal Panther on it. Sorry for my ignorance, but i am confused between the differences with the Server and non-server versions:confused:

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Yes, you can use the Xserve as a regular computer. You can put regular OS X on it, or the server version.
    There isn't much difference between the 2 versions, except that the server version has all these extra server tools built into it, and you can do cool things like set up a POP server, remote monitoring, etc, etc.

The old Xserves (or mine, at the very least) is really loud, so I don't know if you'd want to use it as a regular computer.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

There is oh so much more! OS X Server has about three times more functions than OS X Client. It really isn't useful for a home user to run Server unless they are trying to learn how to use it. For full functionality, you would need a network, a website, a mail server, net boot, user groups, shares, ftp... the list just goes on and on