Xserve RAID and other Mass-Storage Devices

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Baklava, Jan 22, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

Hello all,

simple question: is it still worth to buy a Xserve RAID? Or should I go with another device for mass-storage?

I currently have no plan how they work but somewhen I will have to think about a mass-storage device. Tired of using so many external HDs. :/

Thanks for any advises in advance!

2. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I think.....

good old techno.....Last time I remember, the Xserve RAID had a 7.0 TB maximum capacity. If you can find one with a good price, maybe that suits you. But, still, it is hard to see to me how to get more from an aging tech, lets say, 3-5 years in a working enviroment.

Promise makes very good tech, but is Thunderbolt based, so I guess, the route you can choose must be based in what you have right now....

:):apple:

3. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

I actually just want to have ONE place for mass storage, that's it. Thunderbolt is too expensive right now and I don't think of upgrading my system anytime soon to get Thunderbolt ports. I have a Mac Pro btw.

4. macrumors 68000

Silencio

To use an Xserve RAID with your Mac Pro, you'll also need to buy a Fiber Channel PCIe card.

Unless you plan on upgrading to a more modern Fiber Channel-based RAID in the near future, it's really not worth it IMO.

5. macrumors 603

blueroom

Mass storage, get a NAS. Synology makes something for nearly every need.

6. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

I did a long research and agree with that. Xserve RAID is limited to very old tech. They just support IDE HDs up to 750 GB... Not very clever invest for the future. :/ With tweaks and mods you can somehow get 2.5" SATA or even SSD drives in there but that's pain & too much money.

Yep... Currently checking for alternatives. They are not as sexy as Apples gadget but I can live with that. :D