Xserve Raid

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mollimc, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mollimc macrumors newbie

I have current purchased a Xserve Raid and have the following questions:

1) Can i directly connect 2 network cables to the xserve raid from the PMG5 to administer the standalone xserve raid. On normal circumstances, the xerve raid is connected to a LAN for access.

2) For a 7TB 14 modules Xserve, is it normal to have 2 arrays of 2.7TB available for use ie 2.7TB + 2.7TB. What happened to the 1.6TB of storage (7TB - 2.7TB - 2.7TB)

3) Based on a 2 array setup for 2 controllers, how should the Xserve be setup to stripe the 7 drives on the first controller and mirror the 7 drives on the 2nd controller.

My current set up returns a timecode break error or drop frames error when I commence video capture.

Please advise.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well I think the problem there is the way GB are measured. Hard drive manufacturers measure space using the SI prefix yet most OSs use the binary prefix. So you will always lose space compared to what the hard drive says it is. The larger the drives the more you lose.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1.6Tb out out of 7TB is way to much to assign to the different measurement "strategies". More likely is that you currently have a RAID 5 setup. This is a good comprimise between saftey and available array size. Basically in this mode you loose some of the space frp, drives in the array to store parity for the data. If any single drive fails you do not loose any of your data.

This is quite a computationally expensive thing to do though so it's not as fast as pure striping would be (although this is very risky, a single drive failure will cause the data on that entire array to be lost).

There is a basic into to RAID levels here.

4. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

that article seems to be offline. go here intead:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks#Standard_RAID_levels