Xserve shipping?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by szark, Jun 14, 2002.

1. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Just worked up a configuration (for fun) at the Apple Store and the estimated shipping time for the Xserve has changed from "June" to "2-3 wks"!

Looks like they'll be shipping soon! (Wish I could get one...) :(

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I can imagine why Apple is delaying shipping. I mean, jeeze, the damn thing's got 480 Gigs of hard drive in it. It would take some time to wire all 4 individual HDs. This is also not the first time thing has happened with an Apple product. Remember the first superdrive equipped G4's? They were first delayed, then the superdrive was only put on the most expensive model. You gotta think about the fact that the xServe is new and has some production problems that will be sorted out in the future.

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

This will give SJ something positive to report at MWNY in his speech. "The Xserve is shipping". Works out quite nicely.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Not sure if I understand your wiring comment. Could you elaborate?

The Xserve's drive are hot-swappable...hell, you can order it with just one drive if you want (not sure why you would though).

Didn't Apple claim a June ship date originally?

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

The wiring comment means that each drive (If you wat more than one) has to be RAID, I believe. But, I'm not sure, they could all be on one or more IDE channels each supporting ATA/100.

7. szark thread starter macrumors 68030

szark

Just to comment on my original comment...

Since the estimated shipping time for orders currently placed is 2-3 wks, I was thinking that orders which have already been placed would be shipping sooner.

BTW, the orders I was checking were minimum configuration for both SP and DP, both were 2-3 wks.

G5orbust: each drive is on a separate IDE channel.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU