Xserve Single Processer 1 GHz faster than G4 Dual 1GHz!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by ricotta, Jul 8, 2002.

1. ricotta macrumors newbie

Oh my god!

First benchmarks showing that the Xserve Single Processer 1 GHz is faster than the Quicksilver G4 Dual 1GHz! (See really slow loading movie at http://bitcom.ch/services-xserve.html)

What does it mean for the new mashines? Is DDR that TUUURRRRBBBOOOOOOBOOOOSTING......?

BTW: Should I buy an actual DP 1GHZ for at least 3000 EURO (nearly the same in $) - cause normally here in germany you never can catch an old top model after the MWNY...So waiting is impossible...

2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Ricotta

That's a very good question that you make. I've done it myself. If I should wait or buy a DP1Ghz... Well I decided to buy it now. It's a great machine and Apple Portugal was and is giving a Discout of 700 Euros, that is 300 Euros discount if you buy one until the 15th of July and 400 Euros discount in a very good promotion, that is kinda of "Give your old PowerMac and get a discount of 400 Euros". I had a old PowerMac 8600/250 sitting in the Office, that was going to the trash, so I gived a very good destiny to it!
    I did bought a DP1Ghz and I received it on Friday. It costs here in Portugal 4.163,81 Euros without the discount, so a 700Euros discount is a lot, believe me! I only paid 3.463,81 Euros! I load it with more 512Mb RAM, and it is FAST! VERY FAST!!!!! My TiPB 550Mhz with 768Mb of RAM, now looks and feels as slow as a snail!!!!!

It's very hard to give you the rigth advice, if you should wait or buy it now. I know that if I did wait for the new machines that will come, they should only arrive in about 2 to 3 months, and they will cost more that what I did paid. I'm very but very very very very happy with my new DP1Ghz!!!

It's a very difficult decision, because you know that in 9 days a more faster, better, PowerMac is coming. But take a look at what you got, take a look at what Apple Germany might be offering and take the jump in whatever the side, because they will be both great! If I can do anything to help you, please say! Just ask!

3. ricotta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx Tiauguinho

Thank U Tiauguinho,

ill do it like U, sending in my "Trade-In" LC Mac today to get the rebate too.

I hope, that there will be no medium G4 model with dual processors for 3400 Euro at MWNY. Then i will be superhappy.
    Many people will hate me for that ;-)

Waiting for My Dual 1 GHz now...

4. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

You're welcome Ricotta!!

When you do receive your DP1Ghz please say anything! You'll love it!! It's blazzing fast!!! Add more RAM if you can! If you have anything that I can do, email me: tiagocarvalho@mac.com

BTW, you're changing from a LC Mac? the one that as a 100mhz processor?

5. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Well, if the sigle prosessor XServe is faster than the DP 1 GHz, this should bold well for the upcoming expo. I'm already looking forward (have been for the last four months.... :) )