Xserve -> Video Editing over Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TheT, May 17, 2002.

1. TheT macrumors 6502

Just an idea...:
    Since the Xserve has gigabit ethernet, will it be possible to edit video over a network connection? What I have in mind is setting up macs in a classroom as 'dumb terminals', so without own operating system but started over the network from the Xserve, and just allowing to save data on the Xserve HDs. I know that with MacOS X Server and Jaguar, it will be possible to do that kinda stuff. But will the etehrnet connection be fast enough do do video editing in iMovie? Right now, when I just try to edit a project stored on another mac over the ethernet, iMovie complains that the drive is responding to slow.
    So, does anybody know anything about this? It would be great if it worked, becasue everything would be stored in one place, without having files all over the place...

2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

wow.... thatd be pretty cool, cept licensing and stuff would be a real problem

i mean, at least with my experience, most schools dont like to mess around with stuff like that -- theyd rather jus buy as many licenses as they need, install the program, and not worry about other details -- but your idea WOULD be pretty cool.. i mean ill bet a lotta pro schools would go for that...

3. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm not worrying abou the licenses, they could be still bought for all of the computers... all I want to do is store all the files in one place, so you can work on them no matter on which computer you are
    btw: I'm 'just' in a High School, but we have a pretty cool video-editing class, with dual-display G4 and everything ;)

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've spoken with some techs who've done exactly that: editing remote video over ethernet using gigabit transfer speeds.

As long as your network is that fast (and if it is you're lucky) you'll be golden! :)

5. TheT thread starter macrumors 6502

That is really cool! Now there is one problem remaining...is there any way to get iMacs to work gigabit-speed? or should I just give up hope and buy all G4s? (donations please...) :D

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

iMacs are 10/100 so no luck there...right now PowerMacs and PowerBooks are the only choice.

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

wow gigabit ethernet would really keep up with like a SCSI RAID array? or are we assuming here that the editors actually have some patience :D ?