Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpaceJello, Mar 13, 2007.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2006
    Hey curious if anyone have had any experience with this program? I was considering trying it out, but it does seem a bit risky... how you delete the Intel or PowerPC code from you programs. Is it safe?
  2. zwilliams07 macrumors member

Dec 16, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    No need to drop the cash for Xslimmer, Monolingual does the same thing for free (can remove languages and architectures).

Monolingual: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7758

As to removing platform specific architecture code, yes, it is quite safe. As long as the application is Universal Binary. If you strip out PowerPC code of an application that can only be run or was compiled only in PowerPC, it will no longer be usable.
  3. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Like TPAM said, it's plenty safe, and I don't know about Monolingual, but I know Xslimmer will backup the apps you "slim" and won't let you remove code native to the processor you're on.
  4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Xslimmer scans the applications before removing the code you don't need so if there's a PPC only program on your computer it'll skip it. Xslimmer will also blacklist some apps so they don't get changed because if they do, they no longer work. I don't know if Monolingual does this or not. I personally use both to do my space-saving: Monolingual for removing worthless languages on my iBook and Xslimmer for removing UB code.
  5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    I've used both. I feel safer with XSlim, but if its not 2am and your careful, Mono will be just fine.

I had the bad expeirence of deleting my keyboard map (or whatever the term is) and could not type in English for my life after using Mono. It look Arabic or something completely foreign. Was not a fun day let me tell you that.
  6. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2005
    the Netherlands
    Thanks, just tried monolingual and "saved" 2.5 gigs. Now, praying that nothing crashes! :rolleyes: