XTerm application on MacOS X

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by findpankaj, May 4, 2006.

1. macrumors member

I need an Xterm type of interface to do my development work. Is something included in X11SDK? I installed the package but the application is not getting invoked from /usr/X11R6/bin/Xquartz
    I am getting the following error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/bin/./Xquartz
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap
    ==========

Any idea about this?
    What are the tools you guys use for your work. I normally use humming bird software on my office PC. It provides a great interface to Unix servers.

Even a basic Xterm type of application would also help. I don't like terminal software which my Mac has.

Thanks.

2. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

X11 is great. It should be on your OS X install disk.

3. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I think that you will need to reinstall X11 from your OS X disc, X11 should just start on double-click and xterm should be there.

(then again, if the only part you want is xterm, why not just use Terminal?)

4. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. But is it included in X11SDK or another Software?
    I can't find on my OS Disk.

5. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

6. thread starter macrumors member

Ok. I will try once more. Thanks Guys!

7. macrumors 6502a

On Tiger install disks, X11 is an option during the installation of OS X. If you did not select this when you installed OS X then you can download the installer for PPC from http://www.chemistry.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/x11.html

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

you don't have to reinstall OS X to add X11, you just do a custom install of just that.

9. macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

When I install my X11 its like on Optional or Additional Installs off of the Mac OS X DVD.

10. macrumors 68000

Yes. To install X11, stick in your Tiger DVD, open up the disk in Finder and click on "Optional Installs". After clicking "OK", "Agree" etc, you should be faced with a list with check boxes. Click on the arrow next to "Applications" to expand the list, then click the check box next to "X11" and click "Install".

11. macrumors regular

Why ever not? A terminal is a terminal is a terminal. You type text in, it spits text back out... About the only worthwhile innovation that I have ever seen in a terminal program on Mac/Linux/BSD is the ability to have multiple sessions open as child windows of the terminal app, rather than having to run a root window each time. And even that "improvement" wouldn't be enough for me to bother changing the default on my system...

12. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The OP mentioned Humming Bird Software. Humming Bird is known (at least to me) for it's tunneling capabilities. Terminal lacks this, but X11 does not.

13. macrumors 68040

plinden

When I discovered VNC, I stopped using Hummingbird Exceed. Exceed worked fine, but any kind of flakey connection (e.g. from home) meant I lost the session.

VNCserver on your Unix servers keeps the session information on the server itself, so if you lose a connection you can reconnect to exactly the same session.

14. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Uhhh.. it's the same thing as an xTerm? Except no X11. :confused:

15. macrumors 6502a

If all you want is an xterm then installing X11 is rather a heavy-weight approach.

Personally, I don't have any problems with the OS X terminal program but there are some alternatives out there:

iTerm
    MacWyse

16. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except for tunnelling (Apparently, though i've never succeeded on my Mac) which lets you run applications with a GUI on your Mac remotely...

17. Moderator emeritus

yellow

That would be covered under the 'no X11' clause of my post.. as it allows you to run X11 GUI apps from a remote UNIX box. ;)

18. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair point, though I think thats probably what he want's to do, especially after mentioning eXceed which lets you do that on Windows...

19. macrumors 68000

savar

I've been able to SSH tunnel X11 on my mac. I connected to my Roomate's x86 running Gentoo...some apps didn't work, but I was able to run Firefox, plus all the goofy standards like Xeyes, etc. Never tried it across the internet though.

20. macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I've SSH'ed to the Server at my school, but like you said, never with X11 though... Hmmm... I wanna try.

21. macrumors 68000

It works across the internet, I've even done it across the Atlantic (i.e. In Europe connecting to a computer in US), although that was a bit painful!