Xtorrent Alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by insan56, Mar 26, 2007.

1. insan56 macrumors member

ok i downloaded Xtorrent and love the program! but im to cheep to pay so... What would be the best alternative program similar to it that is most impotrantly free?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Check out this list here. I think Transmission and Azureus are the most popular.

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

The nightly builds of Transmission are loads better than the stable 0.6 that's offered on the site.

I get better speeds with Transmission on heavily seeded torrents, but I get more seeds and peers with Azureus on the obscure ones. Personally, I'd prefer to use Transmission exclusively. It's a great BT client.

4. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If you're looking for something more similar to Xtorrent than Transmission, I recommend BitRocket. It's still a little rough around the edges in parts, but I don't really have any major issues with it.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Then you haven't heard of very many trackers. A number of them that I frequent ban Transmission. In fact, the only Mac client that passes muster with the main one I use is Azureus -- which I hate so much (because it's such an ugly memory hog) that I use uTorrent through Parallels instead.

Transmission is nice for simple work on general trackers, but it's lacking in options and is usually banned on private trackers.

7. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I've always wondered why people ban certain apps from trackers?

8. reubs macrumors 68000

I'll put in a plug for Transmission for the sake of simplicity. Nothing beats loading a torrent and walking away. It's pretty fool-proof. Azureus, though, is kind of a pain IMO. I don't always get fast DL speeds, and I'm not a fan of having to change ports, etc. so that I can get efficient speeds. (but that's another issue...it could be user error...).

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

In the case of Transmission, it has a bug (that's been fixed in the nightlies, but not in the released, "stable" versions) that causes it to ignore the report interval requested by the tracker. Transmission defaults to reporting, I think, every 5 minutes, which effectively SLAMS the server with data and causes the tracker to chug.

...and that's just one of the bugs Transmissions has that has caused it to get banned from numerous trackers. If you search around these forums, I think there are a few threads that discuss T's problems in more detail. The Reporting Bug, however, is the main one that causes trouble.

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    LOL Xtorrent IS the alternative...

and what kind of torrent program isn't freeware?

please. next.

i'm sure everyone suggested stuff. But in the end, unfortunately, it's Azureus.

11. Project macrumors 68020

I might have to fork out for xTorrent now that its out of beta. I love it. Minimal footprint. Superfast downloads. RSS. Search and one click downloading.

It just seems wrong to pay for a torrent client though :D

12. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck...it's probably a duck. It feels wrong to pay for a BT client because it is wrong. ;)

13. insan56 thread starter macrumors member

14. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

at this point, yeah.

until uTorrent is released, it's azureus for private trackers and transmission for general purpose stuff..

15. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

"best" is purely subjective. Azureus may be the most fully-featured, but an ass-load of features doesn't necessarily make it the best.

Personally, I don't think any of them are all that good. I think a libtorrent-based client with a Transmission-like GUI would be "the best"...but unless I do it myself, or someone does it for me, it's just not in the cards currently.

16. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I use Azureus and I like it.

17. CNU182 macrumors regular

me too, anyone else?

18. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I explained above one reason why Transmission has been banned from numerous trackers.

19. CNU182 macrumors regular

my apologies

20. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

No need for apologies - just thought I'd point it out :)

21. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    transmission made my ratio on a tracker go into the Terabytes....then fall to 0

I was about to get banned, and had to plead my case to a mod to get back on track

22. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

hehe - yep - that's one of the other reasons Transmission gets banned from so many trackers. :(

23. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I switched to OS X first week of March, and pretty much the only thing I miss about Windows is utorrent... So it is in fact being developed for OS X as well?? That would be great..

24. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I highly reccomend Transmission. Very light and simple, and it does it's job quite well.