xvid 0.5.1 won't work on quicktime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steelfist, Mar 17, 2006.

1. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i downloaded the mac version of xvid 0.5.1 from xvid.org, and tried to play a movie with quicktime. it crashed. i looked for another version, and went to versiontracker and downloaded it's xvid codec. it plays only the first few seconds of the video, half scrambled and no sound, and then hanged.

it annoyes me about this.

i deleted the xvid codec, and tried 3vix. same result as the codec from versiontracker, and obviously the divx codec dosen't help at all. it's annoying that I have lots of xvid videos on my ibook now, and i just wanted to view it in quicktime.

i tried vlc, mplayer, and xine before. I wasen't used to it's more complicated two window interface.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Um, the DivX codec for Quicktime plays XviD just fine (there's even a Universal version of it now, as far as I'm aware, if you have an Intel-based Mac). They're completely compatible formats, unless you've got weird proprietary-ass XviD files that use crazy things like quarter-pel or b-frames. And even then, VLC will play them just fine. And its interface is not that confusing—your controls are just in a controller instead of in the same window. That's a pretty lame excuse for not using it.

So, get the DivX Fusion codec for OS X, and get VLC for the few files QuickTime won't play. That's pretty much the solution to your problem.

3. steelfist thread starter macrumors 6502a

tried Fusion beta too.

i don't "don't" use Vlc. it's good.

however, sometimes, i would like to open it up with quicktime, and it annoys me that there's a xvid codec that everybody can use that won't work on my ibook g4. so, i used divx, divx fusion beta, 3vix, xvid 0.5.1.

here's a screenshot of a movie encoded with xvid that i attempted to play with quicktime using 0.5.1 xvid codec. it only plays a couple of seconds of the begining, then crashes or hangs.

if i used another method, quicktime will just "unexpectedly" closed

Attached Files:

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's just the reality of owning a Mac, I'm afraid. XviD is a codec designed and popularized on the PC, and its developers have never really paid attention to the Mac (or maintaining a current QuickTime wrapper). I'd imagine it isn't just you. If you like I could arrange to check out the file you have, see what happens for me—it might just be that file employs XviD features not supported in the codec available for the Mac. As I recall, that particular XviD build you're discussing is pretty old.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

One thing: The release version of the DivX 6 codec has been available for quite a while now. You don't need the DivX Fusion beta version.

Most important thing: Your codecs appear to be working just fine. The problem you are having is that these high-compression codecs require more power than is available on your system.

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I had the problem with the xvid codec where it would take minutes to open a video and i still wouldn't get any sound. After reading a few documents, it turns out that that codec only has the video decoder, no audio. You have to install Divx for the audio to work. After I did that, the xvid movies i had played perfectly.

7. steelfist thread starter macrumors 6502a

if it takes so much power for a mac to play xvid with xvid on 0.5.1, then why does vlc play it fine?

also, the video that i played, i opened it up in vlc, it says that the video is in xvid, and the audio is in mpga.

i also tried combos with the codecs, no avail.

the latest that i can find is 0.5.1. there's no new version that i'm aware.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

QuickTime and VLC are very different animals with very different design goals. QuickTime, for which the Player is a compatible app, is the multimedia framework for MacOS X. It has to satisfy the needs of all MacOS X developers and amateur and professional media users. VLC is a player that is designed to play most multimedia files by reverse engineering their formats. As a player only, VLC is much less ambitious in its design goals than QuickTime. You cannot escape the the fact that your troublesome file is being recognized and played by your installed QuickTime codecs. You are experiencing artifacts of decoding highly compressed files. It is impossible to make a final judgment based on your single frame, but this is the kind of thing one sees in digital media when a large percentage of pixels change between consecutive frames.

9. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Try this thread.

The Void
    Jessica lives in a neighbourhood called..... rich!