xvid codec/player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joeyjojoe, Sep 27, 2003.

1. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

i'm looking for an xvid codec or player for osx. anyone know where to find one?

i found the 3ivx software on versiontracker and i think that may work out for me.

one more question, if i want to uninstall a codec, do i just delete the folder or what? (as you can see i'm totally clueless on this os)

2. airmac macrumors regular

Re: xvid codec/player

VLC..it's free and best player to date...:D

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

nah nah nah. mplayer is definitely the best. Go get it :D I seem to recall there's more than one version of the frontend to the unix program or whatever it is. Just get the one witht the higher version number off versiontracker :p

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, the 3ivx codec works well for playing Xvid files. Once it's installed, it'll let you play Xvid files in QuickTime (and probably some other apps too).

It's a single file, and is removed simply by deleting that file :)

5. airmac macrumors regular

but you can play only a small portion of Xvid files....and how can you even compare Mplayer with VLC?!

welll joeyjojoe... be your own judge..:D

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Really? I haven't come across a single Xvid that won't play. Mind you, I don't have too many of them.

7. airmac macrumors regular

man, they play all right, but the sound issues on some files are really annoying...

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've had very good luck using VLC on xvid files as well, but with the 3ivx and newest Divx (finally got the sound issue worked around) codecs installed I haven't had any problems with most files in QuickTime, either.

I've actually had pretty good luck authoring them with ffmpeg, too, but that's a different story.