Y AE STATION is good?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cmx08, Feb 27, 2004.

1. cmx08 macrumors regular

i'm not sure if they meant the AE cards or the Stations, correct me if i'm wrong.

I read in many articles that Apple's AE had been a bomb in the market, and it over score the sum of other companies product.

I think that they meant the station (Router maybe?)

is the AE Station that good? How better than the ones from linksys, netgeat, etc...

I know that the AE Station has one with modem and atenna jack. is it because of the modem and ANT. jack that it is better ?

is it worth it?
    it cost 6 times more than the other ones( the AE station w/o modem and antenna jack)

and 7 times more for the one with antenna and modem.

can someone tell me the benefits beside that it is from Apple and it's cool

any reviews ( from ppl who made lab test, if possible)

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It is many times easier to configure than competing routers, that is one major thing.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I have the AE base station with modem. It's cool looking, it's Apple, it integrates great with the Mac and is easy to set up. Those are the positives. The negatives are random cutouts. Sometimes it just stops broadcasting. It's not interference. I can put the base station on the microwave while I talk on a cordless phone and it'll still work. But just about daily (far from sources of interference) it'll stop broadcasting until I reset the base station. There are similar stories all over the apple support forums as well.

I've never said this about an Apple product before, but get something else.

4. Steradian macrumors 6502

It isn't that easy, but a step up from the previous Airport generation. As for the AE, it has some great things about it, like the ability to just plug a printer stright to it etc. However if you buy anything from apple you pretty much have tp pay a premium for it's looks. I would personally go and check out linksys offers myself. http://reviews.cnet.com/Networking/2001-3243_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav has an ok review. You might also want to snoop around these offerings as well, http://reviews.cnet.com/Networking/2001-3243_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav Try to remember also that the parts that are in AE are not only unique to apples creation, it was made with parts from other companies, making other products a cheaper and just as effective equivalent.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

theyre nice.
    thing is that they're a little more expensive than the average 802.11g base station ($99 for netgear/linksys).

i love mine, only stops working after a few weeks, sometimes the interference from the phone/microwave oven is annoying though...but thats something i cant do anything about.

6. cmx08 thread starter macrumors regular

have a 11b

I have an ibook g4 800 with an AE card (11g)

And my home wireless router is an 11b,
    Will I surf faster if I go for a 11g router or it is the same d/l speed?
    I hear that 11g gets a good use when ppl use book and book with 11g file transfer like itunes library, appletalk, ichat and other.

will an 11g router make any diff. for someone who uses wireless internet at home on an ibook g4 ?

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

internet != ethernet :)

unless you got like a T3 (45 mbps iirc), your wireless ethernet speed will *still* be faster than it NO MATTER WHAT (802.11b is 11mbps, g is a theoretical 54 :p )

its soo annoying yet funny when people ask about their wifi speed as if their internet connection speed depends on it :p

8. cmx08 thread starter macrumors regular

???

I have a DSL connection at home only, 1.5 or 3Mbps.
    I know that wire networking will be faster and that wifi is slower. And I knew the the difference about 11a/b/g and their benefits but I was thinking if the AE base station 11g is a technology that is worth it.

so what u meant in the last line was that 11g and 11b speed are the same for internet.

but in the first line u said that it will still be faster than it????

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

egads!!!!!!!!! Wifi is definately slower than wired (11/54mbps compared to gigabit ethernet and stuff like that...:p) . The thing is that your INTERNET CONNECTION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Forget everything. Lets start all over from the beginning.

Wifi, wireless ethernet basically, is a way to network things. There are three or four different specifications right now, but the two main ones right now are 802.11b and 802.11g. 802.11b has a theoretical maximum speed of 11 mbps or around 1.375 MB per second. 802.11g has a theoretical maximum speed of 54 mbps or around 6.75 MB per second. mb is not the same as MB. 8mb = 1MB. Wifi is like usign ethernet cables to connect all your computers, except you dont use cables and its all wireless. Its a way to network computers together.
    Your internet connection speed is the speed at which you're connected to this global network called the Internet, that most people usually pay an Internet Service Provider (ISP) to get. You said it was 1.5 or 3mbps. 3mbps, let alone 1.5, is WAY slower than 11 or 54. You use your DSL modem to connect to the internet.
    So unless you have a T3 internet connection (45mbps) or some other insanely fast internet connection that you dont share with others, and youre doing stuff with fast servers, your wifi speed will ALWAYS be faster than your internet speed. So your internet speed CANNOT be slowed down by wifi, unless the internet speed is faster than 11 or 54 mbps.

Think about it this way. The only reason why you're connected to the internet over Airport is because you connected your DSL modem to the base station. If you take away that modem, there is no internet connection. But Airport will still work, because its ETHERNET, and it has nothing to do with the INTERNET. It's just a way that transfers data from your computer to the DSL modem, as well as a way to connect more than one computer/device together. You can achieve the same thing by connecting your computers and devices via ethernet.
    If you're using Airport for nothing but surfing the Internet, 802.11b will be great for your needs. But since I transfer files over the network and print using the base station, for me 802.11g will be more useful. It all depends on what you do with it.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What he means is that even 11b is faster than your DSL line, so moving to 11g won't speed up your general browsing. However, if you do a lot of computer to computer transfers, going between 11g and 11g or 100BaseT will be faster than going from 11b to 11g or 100BaseT. Of course, if you're transferring stuff to/from a computer with only 10BaseT (like a Beige G3 for example :rolleyes: ) to something with 11g (like a new PowerBook :D), it will only be as fast as 10BaseT.*

If you couldn't tell, this is my exact situation. I need to get a 100BaseT card for my Beige :(

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

what she means ;)
    Hey, I think I might have seen $15-20 gigabit ethernet cards at Fry's or something. There are some good deals online. Check out pricewatch.com.

12. szark macrumors 68030

szark

<nitpick>

m = milli
    M = Mega

b = bit
    B = Byte

Mb = Megabit
    MB = MegaByte

</nitpick>

Sorry, just in that kind of mood today... :)

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

jeez szark :p
    btw, i thought mb was an acceptable alternative to Mb...
    and technically wouldnt MB be short for mebibyte when its a power of two, and megabyte for the other kind...

14. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I've never heard of mb being an acceptable alternative to Mb, but I don't know everything. ;)

And the proper abbreviation for mebibyte is MiB.

I don't really care that much, though. I'm just really bored right now. :D