y cant i update??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by guv, Aug 21, 2002.

1. guv macrumors newbie

this may sound like a stupid question. but i got my mate with adsl to download me the os x bumpoer pak with the 10.1.1 - 10.1.5 updates... but i cant select the hard disk to install it. do i need to format b4 i do nething? that wouldnt exactly be easy....

plz help me!

2. MacMaster macrumors 6502

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: y cant i update??

i just went thorugh the same thing. i think i just restarted the machine(powerbook) and it showed up. there is a lot about this in the knowledge base at Apple's site.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yep, Knowledge Base is a good place to start.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Backtothemac and I had the same problem.

In your Software Update control panel, install the security update, then the program "Installer Update", then go right on from there. I recommend using the combo update straight to 10.1.5 once you have updated.

6. big macrumors 65816

big

I just wiped a drive clean and installed 10 on it brand new, what a difference performance wise it made to install on a faster harddrive!

oh- and it'll be nice having 10.2 instead of having to do a million installs of the old software if I ever had to do it again.

that bit the big one, I can't think of a time when Apple had released so many updates between x.x upgrades. ie, from 7.1 to 7.6 only took one upgrade...

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The easiest solution is to download the July 17(I think) security update. Install it. after that you are fine. Go to Apple support, select Mac OS X. scroll down. It is on that page under downloads. :cool:

8. guv thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks every1, ill get ryt on that.. after i get back from sunning myself on holiday! :)

au revoir!