ya so i decided to swich

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mith, Oct 26, 2006.

1. mith macrumors regular

hmm ok well am new here so ya am gonna have alot of questionz, but for now before i buy a mac(would be my first ever mac)..i have been watching everything lately and lookz like apple is moving very fast, so if i buy a 24 inch iMac core 2 duo.....what is the likely hood that soon they will have that out in quad-core,,,and mac pro's in 8 cores....like i know leopard is coming next year and all so, am guessing these changes may also take place,,,,so when would be the best time to buy a mac now or should i wait?

2. czeluff macrumors 6502

my thoughts

of course, everyone has their own opinion about waiting or not....here's my feeling:

Both the iMac and the Macbook Pro are both 64-bit, so if you're planning on buying one of those, then it's ok to buy now.

If you wanted a Mac mini or standard Macbook, then i'd hold off. IMO, there's no reason in buying 32-bit CPUs when 64-bit OS's are just around the corner.

thats why I waited until MBP got updated. Bought one the day it happened :)

the 24" iMacs are amazing. You would be completely satisfied if you bought one now.

cz

3. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

if your looking at buying a mac pro, it doesn't really matter. The current mac pro is great. if you want 8 cores wait a little bit if you really need them. but if you need a computer now, or just can't resist switching buy it now. :)

4. mith thread starter macrumors regular

thx alot

:D ok thx alot, my real concern is that leopard will come out ,,,i mean upgraded operating system may need newer hardware for better performance, and also wouldn't i need bigger hard drive how is time machine (the feature i am realy hyped up about) gonna store all that info on 250GB? will leopard neeed more ram, if so should i buy 24 ich with more ram? real quetsion is how long will it last, will it will it atleast last me 3-4 yearz (durability of macs since first time gonna get one)??/ i love the 24 inch but before i buy it gotta know this,,,but ya reali want 24 ich - i like all in one concept? so ya> thx in advance

5. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

If past upgrades have been any indication, Leopard may run FASTER than Tiger on older hardware.

As for Time Machine, that's really meant for an External drive, but you should be able to partition the internal one. 250 GB is a lot of space...I would think that you would be fine unless you plan to do a lot of video work...Though I believe just the other day Apple started shipping a 750GB drive in the iMac...

Your iMac will definately last 3-4 years....though you may want a new computer before then for other reasons (New Apple Product Lust Syndrome...! )

6. mith thread starter macrumors regular

another question lol

first of all thx alot for your replies am contemplating alot so one more thing// that lust syndrome thing was correct cause i want an itv soon as it comes out,,i head it uses 802.11n card (but a draft version since isn't not a standard yet or something), is it reali in teh new core 2 duo macs ( did apple reali put dem tehre secretly so we can enjoy later)...my question is will these macs actually work with itv or will we need new macs that will work with em ,,,asking this cause am gettin a mac, 24-ich imac,,,,in hopes that it will be a partner to my itv when it comes out so ya or no?

7. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Depends when you need a computer and what for. Do you really need the 4 cores? If you mainly web surf, email and word process its overkill...:)

However, since you specifically mention the 24in imac well then I say you might as well go for it. The imacs just got refreshed last month so there will probably not be an update to them till late spring or early summer. As far as running Leopard it shouldnt be a problem. I'm running Tiger on a 4 1/2 year old machine with no problems. Your machine wont be that old when leopard comes out. However, having lots of ram will help down the road so you may want to invest in that. If you like to ocassionally game then you also should upgrade the video card. If you plan on downloading lots of videos and tv shows then get the biggest hard drive you can afford--the 24 inch goes to 750GB.

Good luck...:)