Yahoo and Hotmail for .mac mail not working

Discussion in 'Apple Music, iCloud and Apple Services' started by Mattzane15, Aug 31, 2008.

1. macrumors member

When i try to enter my password for my yahoo and hotmail account, it wont accept it for some reason. Can somebody help me? I did the right incoming and outgoing mail server.

2. macrumors 601

What does .mac have to do with hotmail and yahoo?

3. macrumors 6502

munson

I am almost positive that the Hotmail server does not allow for the Mac mail/Thunderbird/etc. that are non-Microsoft products to communicate with the Hotmail servers. They're not a normal SMTP/POP/etc. setup.

I would assume the same goes for Yahoo! but I cannot know for sure.

4. macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Wirelessly posted (White iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Are you sure this is a mobileme question and not a mail.app question?

5. macrumors newbie

I believe munson is correct. Hotmail uses HTTP and Yahoo requires a premium subscription to receive POP.

I am migrating from my Hotmail and Yahoo accounts to Gmail because of this (I'm currently moving from Windows Live Mail on my XP box to Mail on my new MacBook).

6. thread starter macrumors member

I mean i'm trying to get my yahoo and hotmail mail for the .mac mail application

7. macrumors 68000

FreeState

If you can set your Hotmail or Yahoo up as a pop account you can get the mail via .mac/mobileme. Note that both are paid services, if you have the free accounts you will not be able to access them via pop. You can however in Hotmail forward all incoming mail to your .mac email address (without paying for an Hotmail account).

8. macrumors 6502a

Manzana

for hotmail you could also try httpmail. This is a plug in developed for the mail app by Daniel Parnell.