Yahoo! Chat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChickenSwartz, Dec 26, 2006.

1. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    A friend of mine just got a Mac and wants to know how to join a Yahoo! Chat room. I checked it out and couldn't figure it out, it seems that it is not available through Yahoo! messenger and I cannot find an app that lets you connect without having to use X11, something I am not familiar with. I am new to Macs as well so I thought I would pass the question on.
  2. cbetta macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2006
    forget about them, yahoo is planning to discontinue that service any time soon
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    they used to have a pages, where u can login to chat with a java client embeded in the browser.
    yahoo Msger @ windows has a button for chat, I didnt find any on yahoo msger @ osx.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Adium technically supports Yahoo Chat Rooms, but it doesn't provide a list of the chat rooms by name. You can get that list on Yahoo on the web, but then I haven't had any luck getting into any of them. I either get an error message or it just vanishes. There seems to have been intermittent discussion of this on Adium's board but adding the ability to navigate the chat room tree like in Y! Msngr is a 1.5 milestone (meaning it's quite a ways off in the future).